33

James

For as long as I could remember, I have always been a pretty level headed person. I never got mad when I got picked on. I never overreacted when I found out the man I secretly loved for many years was marrying another man. I never tried to be selfish. I saw what my first time being selfish leads to.

I should actually consider myself very blessed. I have an annoying, but carrying sister. Great parents, who are currently living in another state. But another family that treats me and my sister like one of their own. We don't even get looked at, or treated differently for not being rich like them. But that was never something I ever worried about. I've known Carter all my life. And not once has he ever thrown his wealth in my face. I am happy that the people I care about have found a form of happiness.

Carter, my best friend, is married to Ethan. Who is an amazing person. He forgave me for what I did, and he didn't have to. My sister Jenny, is happy with her boyfriend Marcus. Marcus is an amazing person, who I hope to one day have the honor of calling my brother. Charles has been like a father to me, and has even been there when my own father couldn't. Alastor and Val are two of the people I aspire to be like when it comes to marriage. And now Freddy, Carter's new adopted brother is dating a beautiful woman named Izzy. Who became friends with Carter and Ethan during their honeymoon, and later became the assistant to their fathers. Even Charles is happy with having a grandson. Even if Nick is not related by blood. He knew he had to expect that since his only child and son is married to a man. With everyone finding some form of happiness. I can't help but wonder. "When will I find mine?"

"I'm sorry?" I snapped out of my thought and looked up to see Val. She was standing in front of the refrigerator. She was holding a bowl of grapes, and a bottle of water.

"Oh, I'm sorry Val. I guess I was thinking out loud." I took my broken glasses off, and placed my books to the side. I ran a hand down my face, and looked up when I heard a chair move. I notice Val had taken a sit next to me.

"James. I don't normally say what is on my mind. I was raised to keep certain opinions to myself." I nodded my head, not sure where she was going with this. But I waited, listening to her soft voice. "I grew up all my life, thinking everyone would be happy if I simply followed orders, and remained quiet. It was like that, until I met Alastor. I didn't meet him until I was twenty-two."

"Val. I don't mean to be rude. But what exactly are you trying to tell me." She laughed and smiled. Just like with Ethan and Freddy, you couldn't help but smile back. She ran a hand through her light brown hair, and looked at me.

"For a long time. I thought I would be selfish, if I did anything that was for myself. I thought like that for twenty-two years. I was even suppose to marry another man, because it was expected of me. It wasn't until I firs met Alastor, that I knew it wasn't wrong to be selfish once in a while. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be here right now. I wouldn't have a wonderful family, a great and free life. I waited, until I met the man I felt could bring out the real me." She took my hand in hers, and looked me dead in the eyes. "I know you feel like everyone is leaving you behind. And I know it can feel frustrating." She ran her hand down my cheek, and cupped it the same way my mother did. "But happiness is something worth waiting for. Faith never leaves us with nothing. It has a plan for everyone. It all depends if you are willing to wait." With that, she got up, kissed my head, and headed for her room.

I thought about what she said. Jenny met Marcus in high school. Carter, notorious womanizer, met and married Ethan. And Freddy, found his new girlfriend Izzy after she moved back to California. Everyone met each other at different times, at different ages. Val might be right. Maybe my happiness is still to come. I guess I just have to wait.
_____________________________________

I laid on my bed, and looked at some papers for my assignment. I have a final in a few days that will determine my over all grade. I was looking through them, when someone knocked on my door.

"Come in." My door opened, and Carter stepped inside. He sat on my bed, and looked over my work. I won't lie and say my feelings for Carter are gone. He has been the man I loved since I even knew what love was. And him in a suit, showing just how muscular and handsome he is wasn't helping.

"Your glasses broken?" He was looking at them on my night stand.

"Yeah. Not that I mind or anything, but what bring you here? You're usually at work by now." I looked at my clock and saw it was almost ten.

"Izzy convinced Freddy to take all of us to visit Mikey. I feel bad since Mikey is my brother now too, and this will be the first time we see him." I keep having to remind myself of that. Charles really adopted Freddy and Michael. He even scolds Freddy when he doesn't call him dad. He said if me, Jenny and Marcus didn't already have our parents, he would have adopted us long ago.

"What time are we going?"

"Now. That's why I came to get you." We got up and made our way downstairs. Val was pushing Alastor on his wheelchair, Freddy pushed Charles while Izzy made them take their medicine. Marcus was helping Jenny put her hair up, since she always has trouble putting it up apparently. Ethan was holding Nick as we made our way to Charles' limo. The drive to the hospital was spent with Freddy telling us about Michael. How he was as a child.

Once we got there, we caused a bit of a scene stepping out the limo. I will admit, this is a good looking group. Even bandaged up and in wheelchairs, Charles and Alastor gave off a strong vibe. Val is always beautiful no matter what. Freddy and Izzy give off a welcoming easy vibe that draws everyone in. Jenny is loud, but Marcus calms her down. Carter looks like he could kill a man and not care, but Ethan looks like an angel with a body that screams power. And I don't even have to explain baby Nick.

"Hi, hello. Um. What can I help you with?" Poor girl looked like she wanted to pass out. Freddy stepped in front, and smiled. She looked like she went into dream land.

"I'm here to see my brother, Michael Martinez." Without his signature, he can't change his name to McClain even if Freddy has power of attorney. He wants that decision to belong to him.

"Oh yes. Room 301." We thanked her and made our way up to his room. We all piled into the room, and watched as Freddy took the only chair next to his bed. I looked at the boy on the bed. He is supposed to be eighteen now from what Freddy said. He seemed tall, thin and a little pail. His brown hair was a little long, but I guess they aren't able to cut it much.

"Hey Mikey." Freddy took his hand in his. His face taking on a more softer look. "Sorry it took so long to introduce you. That's my bad bro. Um. You already met Izzy, so let me introduce you to the others." Everyone took turns talking to Mikey. We all got excited when we saw his heart monitor speed up a bit. It means he hears us, and responds to us. "I wanna introduce you next to my bro James. Now sadly, he, Jenny, and Marcus aren't legally our siblings. But they are still your family. James is our brother Carter's best friend." He nodded for me to sit in the chair like the others did.

I sat down, and looked at Mikey. Even like this, you could tell he is a handsome young man. I touched his hand, and notice how surprisingly warm it was. It might just be because everyone was holding his hand. So I didn't pay much attention to it.

"Hi Mikey. It's nice to finally meet you. Sorry it took so long. I hope you wake up soon. You have a whole bunch of people here just dying to meet you. You are already so loved in this family. Wake up so we can all show you how important you are to us." I got up to give someone the chair again, but I looked down at my hand.

"James?" I snapped my head up look at Freddy. "Bro, you good?"

"Yeah, I'm good." That must have just been my imagination. There's no way he squeezed my hand. Right?

Fixing LoveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara