27

Ethan

A month has passed since everyone moved in together. We celebrated Carter's birthday, my birthday. Michael was now at the local hospitals. The adoption was being finalized. Everyone was together for thanksgiving. We learned never to take Freddy to black Friday ever again. Some poor guy got a broken nose because he tried taking the last Xbox. Even though Carter offered to get him one the next day. I like living with everyone. The mansion actually feels like a home now.

"Ethan." I looked up from my files, and saw Marcus standing at the door. I put my file down, and watched as he took a seat on the chair in front of my desk. He seemed nerves, and fidgety. "I know you are busy, but I need some advice."

"What's wrong?" Marcus is normally the calm, quiet one. He's like Freddy, just not as crazy. "Marcus. You can tell me."

"I. Um. I wanna, ask, Jenny to, marry me." I could feel a smile take over my whole face. We have been waiting for this day. They have been dating for a while. Jenny just turned nineteen, and Marcus is twenty-two. But their parents are okay with their relationship.

"Marcus. You and Jenny are perfect for each other. Jenny is loud, energetic, outspoken, beautiful, carrying and a great girl. But sometimes she needs someone like you to keep her grounded. Just like you need her to give you the push you need to be adventurous and outspoken. If you propose, I know she will say yes."

"Really?" He had a nerves smile on his face. Marcus is a good looking guy. Tall, slender but muscular, dirty blond hair, pale blue eyes, slight stubble that gives him just the right amount of ruggedness to his features. I still find it hard to believe he was born a girl.

"Really. But can I ask? Why ask me?"

"I trust your opinion. Carter and Freddy are at work, but even then, I don't know? Carter is level headed now, but I don't know how well he would be able to help me. I don't know Freddy all that well, but he seems like a cool guy. And I worried about if James would tell me I can't ask her. Plus, he's in school." I can't help but laugh.

"Well, I don't know how much advice I can give. My marriage isn't really a normal one. I was arranged to marry a straight dominate male, who left me for a year. Comes back with a guy who is now his brother. And is the father to the son of a woman he used to sleep with." I can laugh about it now, because it really is a crazy story.

"True. But you guys still managed to work through it all."

"You have to work for it. I love Carter, and I waited for him. But you and Jenny? You two are made for each other. Trust me. She will say yes." After a few more minutes, he left to go and buy her a ring. He said he wanted to pick the right one, and went straight to the jewelry store. I leaned back in my chair, and looked at my own ring. Just as I was about to get back to work, Nick started crying.

I quickly ran to the nursery, and checked on him. He was crying, reaching for someone to pick him up. I gently took him into my arms, and started bouncing with him back and forth. He just looked at me with his bright blue eyes. I know deep down that he is Katherina's son, and she is still the mother to Nick. But when I look into his adorable face, I don't notice her at all. I see only the eyes that are the same color as the man I love, and who chose to be his father.

"You have no idea how amazing you are little guy. Your daddy calls me his angel, but you are his miracle. And I am very thankful for you." After he calms down, I put him in his crib again, and tuck him in. I lean in and kiss his forehead before walking back out. I head to my office, and finish my work. I'm just about done, when I get a call on my phone. "Hello?"

"E-Ethan." My mother's heart breaking sobs snap me to attention.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I don't normally say mom, but I can tell she is not okay right now.

"Oh Ethan. P-please g-get to t-the hospital." She was sobbing like crazy. I was already busy packing Nick's diaper bag, wrapping him in a blanket, and putting him in his car chair.

"I'm on my way, but what is wrong? I need you to breath and tell me calmly." I heard her breathing in and out, and she seemed to have calmed down enough to talk.

"Alastor and Charles were heading to a meeting, when a car came out of nowhere and hit them. They are both in critical condition." I could feel my body turn cold, and my mind go blank. Both my fathers were in the hospital, this couldn't be happening. The first thing that came to mind, Carter.

"Mom, listen. Stay there and let me know what the doctors say. I am going to get Carter and Freddy and head there now. Call James, Jenny and Marcus." She said okay and hung up. I put Nick in the car, and made sure he was secured. I quickly got into the driver seat, and pulled out off the gates. I made sure to drive just fast enough to get us there, but not enough so we would end up in an accident too. I was so relieved when I saw the sign for the garage that they worked at. Carter spotted my car first, and smiled. But one look at my face, and he was instantly worried.

"Babe, what's wrong?" He was at the door, and pulled it open. I stepped out after taking my seatbelt off. I pulled him into my arms, and just let everything sink in. "Ethan, what is going on?" Freddy was now standing behind him, and he looked just as worried.

"Carter, Freddy. Our dads. They were in an accident, and they are in critical condition." While my brain had shut off, Carter's was on overdrive. He told Freddy to put me in the passenger seat, and him sit in back with Nick. I watched as he talked to his boss, and his boss nod his head for him to go. In the blink of an eye he was in the driver seat, and pulling out towards the hospital. I heard Freddy talking with James on the phone. Him and the others were already there. During all of this, I was sending a silent prayer.

"Please god. We just became a happy family again. Please don't take them away from us. I don't want to lose anyone else again." Please don't let this end like this.