21

I don't think I have ever seen James this excited before. I can almost picture a dog's tail wagging back and forth as we reach the old gym. We go inside, and head for the lockers. I grab my bottled water, and my towel, and make my way towards the treadmill.

"Man it feels great to be back." I stretch before stepping onto the machine. I start at an even pace, and notice James on the one next to me. Before we know it, it turns into a race on the treadmill.

"I give, no more. You win!" He slowed his treadmill down until he was walking again. After about five more minutes he got off. I on the other hand, was still running. "How do you have so much energy?" I turned my head, and saw him laying on the bench with a towel on his face.

"Back when I moved to Willow Creek, I went running a lot in the woods. It's quiet there, and I didn't have to worry about some crazy driver hitting me." He laughed, and I found myself grinning. It's nice to hear him laughing again. Didn't realize how much I missed it till now.

We worked out for another two hours, before calling it a day. I grabbed my bag, and hit the showers. I dried myself off before pulling on my boxers, and slipping my pants on. I put my shirt on just as James turned the corner to were our lockers were at. I wonder if he saw my tattoo.

"Come on, I'm starving." Guess not. We walked out and started heading for the Applebees across the street. The hostess welcomed us, sending a big smile my way, and blushing at James. She showed us to a booth, and handed us our menu. I won't lie. I barely fit inside the booth without feeling like a giant. "Dude, you are too freaking big now. I'm starting to feel like a twig again." I couldn't help but laugh at the memory.

"Oh man, I forgot. I'm so used to you being about the same muscle built as me, I forgot you used to be like stick skinny." I laughed at the scowl on his face. He looked like a little kid when he gets mad like this.

"Yeah, well. I'm not the same weak little fifteen year old anymore. I can fight my own battles now."

"I know buddy." We placed our orders, and talked about the good old days. About us meeting as babies, me getting into fights, him having my back. But like all good things, they don't last long. "James. You do know I didn't leave because of you." That stopped him mid chew. He swallowed, and wiped his mouth before facing me.

"Why are we talking about this?" He now had his hands under the table. We were in a booth at the very back, so no one could hear us.

"James. What happened between us that night had nothing to do with my leaving. I'm bringing it up, because I know you still feel like it is. I know I was a dick when I last talked to you, and I'm sorry. But you're still my best friend."

"Am I?" His head was down.

"What? Of course you are. who else would it be?" That's when my slow ass got it. "You're pissed about Freddy?" The blush on his cheeks told me all I needed to know. "James, Freddy is not replacing you."

"You made him Nick's god father! You told him everything before telling me. You live with him. You were willing to leave with him again. I'm not the only one who doesn't like him Carter. Even Ethan gets uneasy about him." I let out a long sigh, and look up. James is breathing hard, and I know his fist are clenched under the table.

"Come on." I put a hundred on the table, and got up. He didn't say anything, he just followed. I quickly sent a text for everyone to meet at my house. I drove James, so he was already stuck. I drove like a mad man to my house, and pulled into my driveway. James just silently followed me.

"No! Nick, I'm too young to die!" I walked in to see Freddy on the floor, with Nick hitting him with his rattle. I smiled at my son. When he saw me he started to squeal and reaching for me. I picked him up, much to Freddy's disappointment.

"Freddy." He looked at me, and must have realized what was happening. He quickly got up, and stuffed his hands his pockets. His face told it all. Serious Freddy was here. I even saw James staring at Freddy as if he was looking at a whole different person.

I took Nick and got him changed. When I came back, the others where just getting here. They also noticed a serious Freddy standing at the far wall, and looked at me with a worried look. I sat down on the couch, with a bouncing Nick on my leg.

"Carter what's going on?" Ethan was staring at me and Freddy. I looked to Freddy, and he pushed off the wall. He stopped right next to me.

"Okay. I think we need to clear some things up." Everyone was now looking at Freddy. Even my old man was quietly watching him. "This is the last, and final time I will say this. I am not taking Carter from any of you! James."

"Yeah?" He looked surprised, but waited for him to continue.

"I am not taking him, and becoming his best friend. I am a friend, who happens to live with him because I have no one else in this city. I left my home town to come and help him, and now I'm stuck. I'm never leaving. He tells me things, because I listen and then look at things through every angle. A trait I had to pick up, and fast. And as for being Nick's godfather. I went with him, I pushed him to come and talk to her as well. And I help him with raising Nick. He surprised me with that one too, I won't lie. I love the little monster. I'm proud to be his godfather." I saw James look down, he had a regretful look on his face.

"Ethan." Ethan looked from me to Freddy. "Dude, I'm not gay. Carter's like a brother to me, okay? We're close because we listen to each other. He knows my past, and I know his. Believe me. He is freaking crazy about you. So stop worrying about me and him. Cause it's never gonna happen." I saw relief wash over his face. I couldn't help the small laugh when I saw the blush on his face.

"Why do we need to trust you?" I looked to Jenny. Marcus was holding her hand, trying to make her shut up. Jenny is the one that really can't stand Freddy at all. From the first second they meet, they still can't stand each other.

"Jenny." I sent her a warning look. But Jenny being Jenny, ignored it.

"Carter stop! You keep defending him, but I don't get why? Clearly there's something wrong, because we all feel uneasy about him. I want to know what it is." I swear this girl. I would have screamed, if Nick didn't put his hands on my face. He had a sad look. I realized that, like Ethan, Nick likes it better when I smile.

"That is none of-" Freddy stuck his hand up to stop me. He was looking dead at Jenny with the most serious face I have ever seen. "Freddy man, you don't need to tell them."

"Carter I think he does."

"Jenny! Shut the fu- fun house up." Nice save Carter. Real smooth.

"Carter it's okay." I gave him a sad look. I know how much his past affects him. But he never likes to show it. "You wanna know my past Jenny? Okay. I'll tell you. Just know, you're not gonna like it." For fucks sake.