23

Freddy

After telling them about Mikey, I walked out the house. I needed to get some air, and calm down. I could feel my body shaking from the memory. I try so hard to not let it affect me this much, but it still does.

"Freddy." I turned to see who called me. I was not expecting him to be the one to follow me.

"Mr. McClain." I almost thought he was Carter. It's freaky how much he looks like Carter. Just not as big, and with brown eyes instead of blue.

"Call me Charles. Will you take a ride with me?" He held up the keys to Carter's car. I couldn't help but laugh at how similar they are. We got into the car, and drove for what felt like half an hour. We didn't say anything, but it wasn't awkward, just quiet. We pulled into a small dinner, and I followed Charles inside. We took a seat at the very back. It curved, so we had privacy, but they could still tell someone was here.

"What is this place?" I looked at the cream colored walls, and the different deserts on the display. This place had a mom and pop feel, very cozy.

"My wife found this place." I looked at him as he spoke. He looked at the table, and ran his hand over a carving on the wooden material. He had such a far away look on his face. But he seemed so happy. "Serena and I used to get into so many fights, for such silly reasons. One day she drove to the point of getting lost. But when I confronted her about it, she was as stubborn as ever. 'I am not lost. My heart simply lead me to the place it wanted to go.' Or so she said." I smiled at the memory with him. I wish I had meet Carter's mother. They way they speak about her, she was one amazing woman.

"I don't mean to be rude. But why exactly have you brought me here?" He looked up at me, and had this strange look in his eyes.

"This place, like my family, is very important to me. I don't always show it, because I never really knew how. Serena was the one to bring out that side of me. Without it, my heart just doesn't know where it wants to go." I looked at the man before me. He had such a sad look to him right now. "Anyway. The reason I brought you, is because I always bring my family here. When I can that is." My body sat up straight. His family? "Let me get to the point. I would like to adopt you and Michael as my sons." I think I just spaced out at this point.

"What?" This is the first time my brain hasn't been able to process something fast enough. "You, want to adopt us? Why? I'm a mechanic who has a PFN number. My little brother was a Methamphetamine addicted baby, who now has a stutter and is in a coma. Why would you want us?! You don't even really know us. This is the only real talk you and I have ever had." I know I'm making a scene, and I can feel the tears running down my face. But I don't care. I must have been crying for a few minutes before I felt Charles touch my shoulder. I wiped my eyes and looked at him. I didn't see a man with something to gain, or something to prove. I saw a man looking at me, like how I wished my birth father would have looked at me as a boy.

"Carter and I have never agreed on much. After his mother died, we didn't agree on anything at all. But I have always felt him to have a good judge of character. Even if I don't show that I do. He doesn't talk to many friends, only James, Jenny and Marcus. He keeps the ones he trust closest to him, and he never lets them go. Frankly if I could adopt those three, they would already be my kids. But they all have wonderful parents who love them, and I am thankful they do. Today while you talked, my eyes were on my son. He was looking at you in a way he has only ever looked at his mother, and the people in that room. Freddy." He gave my shoulder a small squeeze. "Carter sees you as not a friend, but a brother. In just one year, you have already become a part of this family through him." He was quiet for a moment. Before he looked me dead in the eyes, and smiled. "I have nothing to gain from this, other than two more sons. I will make sure that Michael is moved to a hospital here. So you will be closer to him. I will get him the best doctor and medicine money can buy. Even if you don't wish to be adopted, I will still do it. I know you don't want money, and this is not out of pity or anything like that. You helped my son, let me help Michael." What is with this family and making people show their soft sides? I haven't cried this much in years.

"But, why?" I don't think my voice has ever been this soft and low. I could feel my body shaking. I was scared. Scared that this wasn't happening, and I would wake up back in that cell. That I wouldn't be able to give Mickey the thing he has always wished for.

"I trust my family, and I have faith in them. Even when I'm stubborn and don't show it. But I am working to show this family that they mean the world to me. And that I would give them the world if they asked. So I am asking you. Francis. Do you and Michael wish to be part of this family? As my sons?" I didn't have the voice to speak, so I simply nodded my head. I had my eyes closed, but opened them when I felt Charles pull me into a hug. "I'm very happy to hear that. I will call my lawyers, and have the paperwork organized. Michael will be moved to a hospital here, so you can see him whenever you want. All I ask in return. Is you call me dad." He smiled such a warm and gentle smile. A smile he and Carter rarely ever show. And now I can see why people are drawn by them. It's not money, or power, or even their looks. This family has such a gentle warmth, you can't help but be pulled in.

I laughed with tears in my eyes. I came here to help Carter get back with his family, and be with his husband. But in the end. That guy has given me so much more. I new start, a new home, a god-son, and a new brother and father. He gave me everything I never dreamed possible for me and Mikey to have. He gave us a family. "Thank you. Dad."