19

"Nicholas stop kicking, please!" Freddy looked like he was at the point of tears. Nick was not letting him put his clothes on. I placed a hand on his shoulder, and took his clothes.

"Okay buddy. You wanna be good for daddy?" He tilted his head, but stop moving. I was able to put his shirt on, his pants, but I left him in his baby booties. I then looked to Freddy, who was pouting like crazy. I handed Nick back to him, and he started smiling. Nick giggled and touched Freddy's face. "Keep him here, I'm finishing dinner."

"Sure thing." I went back to the kitchen, and started working on the rest of the food. I called everyone yesterday, and they agreed to come over for dinner. Jenny said she was bringing Marcus, James was happy I called him. Ethan was surprised that I even called him, and to be honest, so was I. I was still mad at him, but he does need to know. I even called my father, and he said he was only coming because Val and Alastor are forcing him to.

Once I was done, I quickly grabbed a shower, and started looking for something to wear. I saw my reflection in the mirror, and my eyes drifted to my tattoo. I placed a hand on it, and trace my fingers over the ink. I decided not to dwell on it, and just put on my black tee. I slipped on my shoes, and ran back downstairs. I picked up my son, and held him in my arms. I will admit, me holding a baby must really look funny. Even I know how my big my body is, so Nick must look even smaller in my arms.

"Dude, they're here." I let out a breath, and took Nick into the other room. "Here, give him to me. You go open the door, and I'll bring him out when you're ready."

"Thanks man." I handed Nick to him, and went to open the door. "Hey everyone." I was so nerves, but thankfully my voice came out calmer than how I felt. I stepped to the side, and let them in.

"Carter, this is such a lovely home." Val was admiring a lot of the furniture in the house.

"It's clean. You sure you live here?" I playfully punched James on the shoulder, and he smiled. I guess he really did feel like I forgot about him.

"Shut up. Thank you all for coming." I lead them to the living room, and everyone took a seat. Jenny and Marcus on the loveseat, Ethan and James sat on chairs, and my father sat on the couch with Val, and Alastor.

"So this is a surprise. I'm sorry we forgot your birthday dear." Val stood up and gave me a hug. I hugged her back, since this may or may not be my last.

"Don't worry."

"Let's cut to the chace." We all looked to my father. "Carter I know you. You wouldn't have called us over so suddenly unless there is something else you needed to tell us, so spit it out." Leave it to the old man.

"Charles relax." Alastor told me that he has been talking to my dad since I left the office. He said that my dad was upset that he forgot my birthday.

"No Alastor, he's right." I ran a hand through my hair. I saw Ethan try and reach for me, but he must have talked himself out of it. As much as I would love for him to, I still think we need our space. "Before I tell you, just know that I have already made my decision. You are more than welcome to walk out once I tell you the news."

"Carter, what is this about?" Jenny was now leaning forward. I took a deep breath, and just said it.

"I have a son." The room was dead silent. I looked to each of them, and they all have the same look on their faces.

"What?" I looked to Ethan. His face showed shock, but in his eyes I saw the truth. He was hurt.

"I talked to Katherina yesterday after I left the office. I talked to her, and then I met him. Freddy! Come in!" Freddy then walked into the room, with a giggling Nick in his arms. I smiled when I saw him, and quickly took Nick from his arms. He smiled when he saw me, and he started touching my face.

"Aww, he is so cute!" Jenny was the first one up, and she came to look at him. "Can I hold him?" I nodded and handed him to her. She held him close, and made sure to support his head. She sat back down, and Marcus started making faces that made him giggle.

"Carter." I looked to Ethan. He was looking at Nick with a sad smile. Val was now standing next to Jenny, smiling down at Nick. "So, the result showed his was yours."

"No." They all snapped their necks to look at me. Freddy ran and took Nick from Jenny's arms. I guess he was worried that the shock would cause her to drop him. "The results showed that Nicholas is not mine. When I first got there, I was praying for that answer. I was praying that he wouldn't be mine. But one look, and I couldn't leave him."

"But Carter." I looked to my dad. "If he isn't yours, why would you go through such trouble?"

"Katherina doesn't know how to take care of him. While I was there, she was smoking and drinking. He hardly had anything there, I was not about to leave him behind. Besides. She named me as his father on his birth certificate. So legally, I am technically his father." Ethan stood up, and walked towards Freddy. He looked at Nick, and at first I thought he would be mad. But I just watched them, and so did Freddy. Nick stared at Ethan for a while, before a big smile spread across his face. He started laughing, and reaching for Ethan. He smiled, and picked Nick up in his arms.

"Hey there buddy." I smiled. He sat down with Nick in his arms, and gently touched his face.

"Okay! Since no one left, let's eat. I am starving, and I smell mashed potatoes." He quickly ran and made a beeline for the kitchen. We all laughed watching him leave, even my old man.

"We should go. If we don't he will eat all of it." They all started laughing again. "No. I'm serious." And with that they were all up and heading for the kitchen. I made sure to take Nick from Ethan, and we both walked to the kitchen in somewhat awkward silence. When will this tension end?