{what actually happened}

May, 15th, 2014

Vic was fifteen. His hair he'd straightened and put in a beanie. He'd just turned fifteen, actually, and he was terrified. His father was hitting him again. Black and blue were such familiar colors to him. He winced, his hand going over the painful marks. Colorful tears streamed down his face as he thought about it, his Mother in the next room, hearing everything, and not doing anything. Kieran was only five, and his parents would always fight. Vic cried in the shower, with his clothes on. He just sat there, and let the water fill up the tub. He was going to drown himself, he thought that nobody could ever live to love him, that a person so broken, would only draw darkness. He'd stayed in his room most of the time, crying and sobbing to ghost in the walls that he called his friends. The water was almost up to the rim, his golden gun sitting beside him on a table, he was almost sure he was going to pull the trigger. He had nothing to live for, he thought.

Suddenly, the door creaked open, and that made him jump a little. Hadn't he locked it? Appearing in the doorframe was a girl with blonde hair. It was his girlfriend, she'd broken up with him. She stared at the scenery with shock, "V-vic, what the fuck are you doing?" she asked, her blue eyes wide with terror. She then grabbed the gun, sitting at the chair beside the bathtub. Vic quickly got out, his clothes soaked in water, and his hands reached for the weapon.

"C'mon Holly, put the gun down for me," he said, his words rushed quickly together like fabric being sown together. Holly shook her head, still not being able to form words.

"You were about to commit suicide?" she shouted, "weren't you!?"

Vic looked out the balcony window, "don't pretend you wouldn't jump off a balcony if you had the chance. That you wouldn't just love to forget the world, without removing the glass form your lips?" Vic spoke. His dark brown eyes full of ruined innocence.

Holly shook her head, "you're insane, Victor!" she said, pulling her phone out from her jean skirt, "i'm calling the police-"

Vic took her phone from her grasp, "just leave, please. Just go, Holly...leave me alone. I promise I won't do it when you leave just don't say anything, please-"

The door had opened again, and it was Kieran, his five year-old brother. The little boy had soft pale skin and dirty blonde hair, with hazel eyes. He had a tan lighter in his hands, and he ran up to Vic and hugged his legs. "mommy and daddy are fighting, again.." the little boy told his brother, "i'm scared.."

Holly snatched her phone away, and grabbed her purse from the floor, she backed out of the bathroom, "you and your whole family are freaks!" When Holly left, Vic felt colorful tears coming along again. He felt like bursting into flames and screaming in the dark, it felt like he was one fire. He'd never been hurt before like that, and Holly's words stabbed him over and over again. Was he really a freak? But the faint smell of smoke caught Vic's attention. Looking down, he saw that his brother Kieran had taken the lighter, and had lit up the bathtub. Vic gazed openly at the fire his little brother created. He didn't know why he was so drawn to it, he didn't know why he didn't want to put it out.

"Give me the lighter, Kai." Vic said, and his little brother submissively had given it to him, too young to understand what was going on. Vic took the lighter, and flicked it on, setting it to the walls. It fascinated him.

Picking Kieran up, he held him at his waist as he walked out of the bathroom, the flames growing against the walls. His parents were yelling and screaming and had no clue as to what happened. Vic walked down the stairs, setting the fire to the wooden floors, and that had began to catch flame, too. Vic had to get rid of this house, his parents, and himself. He set Kieran down, "run away, Kieran. Don't ever come back, okay?"

The five year old started to cry, "why Vic?"

Vic sighed, "I love you." He said to his brother, "now run." Kieran's eyes welled up as he ran out of the doorframe. Vic then took then ran quickly to the basement, got lighter fluid, and dumped it all around the perimeter of his house. He wasn't trying to hurt anyone, he really wasn't. He was just a confused teenage boy. He then dropped the gasoline, shaking his head.

"This is wrong..I can't do this-"

"Victor, I've been looking for you everywhere!" Holly said, as she rushed up to him with a hug, "those things I said just forget it. And..." He gasped, "why do you have a lighter?"

Vic shook his head, "it's nothing-"

"No, give it to me," she said, as she reached for it, grabbing at his arm. Vic pulled away, and backed up, his fingers brushed up against the lighter, and creating a flame. Holly and him started to fight, until something happened. He accidentally dropped the lighter onto a single plant, next to where his house was, and it was like electricity. The flame traveled from the leaf, to the house, and then suddenly it burned, creating a thick black smoke. Vic just kept staring at it, he liked the fleeting feeling he got whenever a flame had traveled to a place new. He snapped out of it, as Holly slapped him in the face.

He turned quickly to her, "what'd you do that for?" He asked, grabbing his stinging cheek. But he saw that Holly had her phone out, and she was walking away from him.

"Yeah, 9-11? I'd like to report attempted murder.." She spoke, staring into Vic's eyes, "yeah my boyfriend..he's not in his right mind."

________________________

Hospital sounds, machines, the scent of clean air freshener, Vic woke up to. He was in an all white room, and when he tried to move his arms, he saw that they were strapped down beside him. Looking to his left, was the doctor. He had a hard expression, "hey kid, you awake?"

Vic yawned, his eyes still wide with shock, "where am I?"

"Texas mental institution for the unstable. Almost three days ago you burned down your house with your entire family inside. Someone by the name of Holly called the police while you were in the act and they knocked out out and brought you here."

Vic's head hurt, and he couldn't think straight. He didn't remember intentionally setting his house on fire, but if the doctor said so, it must've been true, right? He cleared his throat, "s-so I'm a killer? They're gone? My mom and dad and Kieran...?" He trailed off, eyes burning, "they're all dead? And I killed them?"

He nodded, "I'm afraid so, Mr. Fuentes.." He started, "I'm afraid so."
_________________