Chapter 9

Joe's POV
I watched her awakening and adjusting to her surroundings as Mark ran to get a nurse.
I hadn't seen her for so long, she was Zoe's childhood best friend, and I had always had a thing for her. She didn't know it, I don't think, but the feeling was definitely there.
She was perfect. Everything about her was perfect. Her eyes, her hair, her voice, her laugh, her accent, her skin tone, her freckles, her figure, she was gorgeous.
Even when she was in hospital, covered in tubes and wires and medical apparatus.
Mark and the nurse came back in to the room, bringing me back to earth from my daydream.
"Okay, how are you Katherine? Are you feeling okay?" The nurse asked her, raising her eyebrows.
"Yeah, I'm good. Just, my leg is sort of burning in a way." She frowned, and pointed at her left leg.
"Yeah, you broke your leg in the accident, sweetie. It got trapped under the glove compartment as it moved and it broke your shin bone." The nurse explained, and I went and sat down on the other side of the room.
Why did Zoë and Katherine have to be involved? And what cause the accident?
I should go and see how Zoë is doing.
"Hi Alfie, are you okay?" I asked as I quietly walked into her room.
"Yeah, just anxious I guess. I hope she's okay." He wiped a tear from under his eye and sniffed.
I looked at Zoë, her blonde hair was pulled up into a loose bun on top of her head and she had no makeup on.
There were wires going in and out of her arms and hands, one was in her nostril with a plaster taping it to her cheek. She had an oxygen mask on too, to steady her breathing.
She was breathing still, and her heart was beating at a normal pace. But she looked so pale and sick.
I just wanted my sister back.