Chapter One

Chapter One

I always thought that one night was just a dream. When I tried to wake up, it would only keep going. I realized it was reality and during reality my hope was torn apart. Trust was the only thing I had with him. He ruined that with one decision. Sometimes I ask myself why he would do it. The memories will never fade, the hate I have for him won't disappear because some scars don't heal.

"Daddy where are we going?" I asked desperately.

"Shh, Savannah."He answered pulling me along.

Feeling lost I kept quiet. He had a tight grip on my hand almost as if something was wrong. I didn't take much notice and went along with it. The wind whistled through the trees and the leaves rustled on the ground. It was cold enough to snow. That's my favorite time of year, the first snow fall.

"Hurry up Savannah." Dad said rushing me.

Where is he taking me? We've probably been walking in the woods for ten minutes. The car's headlights are no longer shining on us. We're too far away from it. In the distance I saw a light. As we ran closer to it I could make out what it was. It was an outside light of a house. We're going to a house?

"Whose house is this?" I asked dad.

He didn't answer me; he didn't even look at me. I could feel the tension get stronger as we came up to the house. We walked up on the porch and dad rapidly knocked on the door. When the wind picked up I got a whiff of alcohol.

"Daddy . . ." I looked up to him.

Someone cursed inside and opened the door quickly. The man looked over to me and I felt frightened. His dark eyes made him look evil; it looked like he hasn't showered in days, and all I could smell was the alcohol. There was no fresh strawberry smell like there was at our house.

I examined the man that looked so evil. He had dark hair and muscular arms. He was a little shorter than dad and probably a couple of years younger. The clothing he wore was disgusting. His shirt and jeans had holes and he had huge stains on them.

"This is the girl?" The man asked.

The girl?

Dad nodded and let go of my hand. The man handed him money. What is he doing? The man grabbed my arm and dad walked away. Fear came over me quickly. Dad is leaving me?

"Daddy!" I yelled. "Where are you going?"

He didn't answer me. He was ashamed of what he had done.

"Daddy!" I screamed.

"Shut up brat!" The man yelled and slapped me across the face.

I fell on the porch helpless. My tears fell down my face as I watched my dad walk away. How could he do this to me? Heartless was the only word I could describe him with.

"Savannah." Something hit my head, probably a pillow. "Get up Savvy."

"No." I said stubborn.

A cold hand ran down my arm. I quickly got up and slapped the hand away. The cold hand reminds me of, that man.

"What's up with you?" Justin asked.

I closed my eyes in relief. It's only Justin. He's my older brother, the only one who looks after me. Justin is eighteen years old and I am fifteen. The only thing that keeps him going is me. He graduates this year and I'm turning sixteen over the summer so I can drop out of high school. Actually, I'm still thinking about it.