8. Overdue Books and Rainy Day Romances?

I grumbled as I walked to my locker when I thought about what happened on my date. Sam had dared me to go out with all the other guys. If I didn't, then I had to officially date him.

If I did, he swore he'd be out of the game. Now what? How was I supposed to go on a date with every single one of them? Especially Eric. He was the one I was most worried about. I couldn't talk to him like a normal human being. He was scary. What could I say?

I sighed and opened my locker. I got my Calculus and World History textbooks. They decided to give us homework now. Not on Friday. It was as if the whole world was against me.

"Emma!" I called when I saw her. "Hey! You want to go to the mall today?"

Emma smiled at me apologetically. "Sorry, but I have something else to do."

"You seem to be really busy lately," I remarked. "Is something wrong?"

I thought I saw something flash in her eyes. Pain? It was gone almost as soon as it had appeared. Emma shook her head.

"I'm fine, Nic, really. I just get tired really easily these days."

"I noticed." Emma had been caught dozing off in class numerous times. She was allowed to stay out of PE. Maybe she was sick. It was getting colder.

"Well, gotta go!" Emma waved and left.

I waved until she was out of sight. I saw Maggie next to me.

"My gosh, Maggie!" I jumped. "Don't creep around like that!"

Maggie giggled. "You never noticed me? You need more awareness, Nic, you know that?"

I rolled my eyes. "Hey, Mag?" I said as I looked back at the way Emma went.

"Hmm?"

"Don't you think Emma's been weird lately?"

"Yeah. Maybe she's on her period."

"Maybe," I bit my lip skeptically. "But have you noticed how she spends less time with us?"

Maggie shrugged nonchalantly. "She has a boyfriend. Of course she's going to leave us more frequently. That's what people who are in a relationship do. They have to give attention to their friends and even more to their girlfriends or boyfriends."

I nodded. "Yeah. You're right. It's probably nothing."

Maggie had to leave because her mom was sick. I needed to make a quick stop at the office first. I made my way down the hall. I opened the door. I noticed Eric sitting on one of the chairs that lined against the wall.

I walked up to the administrator. She was shuffling through some papers.

"Uh, miss," I called.

She looked up. I read her tag. Her name was Faith Roland.

"Yes, dear?" She said.

I handed her an envelope. "I forgot to pay for the overdue library book. Can you give me a receipt?"

"Of course," she smiled. "Just go over there and wait for a bit. I need to sort this out first."

I nodded and walked over to the chairs. Eric was leaning back. He had headphones on and I could hear the music blasting through. I never understood how anyone could have the volume so high. I tried it once, and my eardrums felt like they were about to burst.

I played with my finger nervously. I glanced over at Eric a couple of times. This was so awkward. The only sounds in the room was the ticking clock, the rustling of paper, and Eric's super loud music.