21. The Notebook

I had to miss the next day of school. My fever got worse and I couldn't even get out of bed. The day went by quickly and, since I fell asleep constantly, it was only a hazy memory.

Maggie and Emma came over to check on me. Aww. They were the best friends I could ask for. Emma brought Amy with her who, adorably, gave me her teddy bear and told me to get better soon.

I was good enough to go back to school the next day. I had to go in at lunch to make up for missing my Calculus exam. Ugh. If you've ever been in a classroom all alone with a teacher, you know how awkward it is.

I tried to finish it quickly, but without the full fifty minutes of class, I had to turn it in without finishing it. Mr. Wilson told me to come after school to finish it. Joy.

Thankfully, the day passed with none of the Big Five bothering me, but, to be honest, I kind of missed them. I mean, yeah, they were just trying to make me into another one of the girls they used, but they were fun to be around, especially when they weren't in a group.

Things soon turned back to normal and December rolled around. I remembered that I had to go Christmas shopping for everyone. This time, we were going to Aunt Josephine's place, so I either had to give the presents really early or a week after Christmas.

I didn't have to worry about it for now. It was only the beginning of December. The first snow didn't even fall yet.

Currently, I was counting down the days until Christmas break in the park when I felt the hairs at the back on my neck stand. I shivered and tried to shake off the feeling, but it wouldn't go away.

"I watch you when you sleep," a voice whispered. I must have screamed at least a thousand decibels high and jumped out of my skin.

Aunt Josephine's bumble berry pie!

What kind of messed up person would sneak up behind you and whisper in your ear?

I turned around and got my answer and lo and behold, Joey and his gang laughing their heads off. I narrowed my eyes at them.

"What the heck, you guys?" I growled. "You're so...so...." I was so mad I couldn't even think of a word to describe them.

"Hot?" Sam finished.

"No," I replied. "You're evil! Why else would anyone ever sneak up on an innocent person and whisper creepily into their ear? Plain evil, I tell you!"

"Oh, Nick," Joey snickered. "You always got scared so easily. I remember how you used to jump at every sound after watching The Ring."

I crossed my arms. "No, I didn't. I....I had hiccups."

"Which strangely coincided with every creak in the house," Joey shook his head.

I nodded. "That's right."

"That's weird, 'cause I don't remember you hiccuping. If I remember correctly, you refused to let go of my arm until the sun came up. You even stayed away from the television and anything round!"

I glared him as I felt my cheeks warm. I wasn't that scared. "No, I didn't," I said through gritted teeth.

"I think you did."

"Oh shut up," I snapped. "It's not like you weren't scared. I saw you Joey, when we were watching the movie, you hid under the covers constantly! And I remember that one time, you yelled and jumped behind the couch!"

That shut him up. The others were trying to hold in their laughter, and he glared at them. I smiled smugly.

"We were only twelve, anyway," he grumbled. "It's normal."