4. Spill the beans and eat the Ice-cream

Big thanks to Kurahara for the awesome new cover. Thanks! :)
______________________________

"Nicole?" Wow, he knew who I was. Big surprise! Not.

"Uh, Roger!" I said with fake enthusiasm. I played with my locket. "What are you doing here?"

"That's what I should be asking," Roger said, raising an eyebrow. I played the straps of my bag.

"Well, I...." I wracked my brain trying to think of something. "Joey's in my AP Physics class and we, uh, had a project, so I came over, but he wasn't here and the door was open and I thought he might be in his room, so I let myself in and then I saw you coming and thought you might get the wrong idea, so I hid and...." I trailed off when he looked at me skeptically.

"I just needed to see him," I concluded.

"O-kay," he said, dragging out the "o".

"Well, he's not here, so I'm gonna go," I stated and made to go past him.

I felt him grab my wrist and I turned around, surprised.

"Uh, Roger?" I said. "Do you like need something or....?"

"Joey doesn't take AP physics," Roger said sternly. "I do. He takes AP bio. Now, what exactly were you doing here?"

Ugh. Face palm. Of all the subjects I had to pick the one I had with him. Just my luck. Joey took Calculus with me, not AP Physics.

"I-I...." I gulped. "Ask Joey." I surrendered. "He'll tell you."

"Mhm," Roger was still skeptical. "Well, You're still coming with me."

"Why?" I asked as he pulled me along.

"In case Joey doesn't know," Roger answered.

"Gee, I never knew how considerate you were," I muttered sarcastically.

We caught up with Joey. He was desperately pacing about. He looked relieved when he saw Roger, but his face fell when he saw me being dragged by his friend.

"What are you doing?" He asked. I could tell he was dreading the answer.

"I caught her sneaking around your house, Joe," Roger answered. "She says you guys had a physics project to work on."

Joey sighed. I could tell he was irritated. He always did that thing with his hands when he was. He constantly tapped it on something. Right now, he was busy tapping his leg.

"Fine, Roger," he said reluctantly. "I'll tell you. You are my best friend, so I guess it isn't fair to keep you in the dark."

Ouch. Despite the fact that I got over him, it still hurt to hear him call someone else his best friend.

"Nicole and I grew up together," Joey spilled the beans without making a cover story. Though, I guess this was better. He wouldn't have to lie and have it bite back at him later.

"You're what?" Roger let go of my wrist. "But you don't even like her!"

That was a slap on the face. Joey told his circle of friends that he didn't like me? What a jerk.

"Yeah," Joey sighed. "She was my best friend until I met you guys."

"So what? She can enter your house as she pleases?"

"Roger," Joey started.

"You know what, Joey," Roger started to fume. "Let's forget this game. I need to let off some steam since you lied to me for two whole years!"