38. Final-ly

This was originally going to be the last chapter, but I decided that there were still some things I needed to tie up together. I'm pretty sure the next chapter is the last one. Thanks to all of you who stuck with my book. :)
_______________________

It was here. It was finally here.

Oh, no no no. It was here. It was going to kill me. I had my covers over my head, trying not to cry. What was I going to do. Dread filled me. No no. Not today. Not ever.

"Nicole?" I could hear my mom knocking on my door. I let out a moan of terror.

"Are you still in bed?"

I didn't answer. I had gotten up this morning, feeling great until I realized that today was the day. The day I had been dreading for the past month.

Finals week.

The thought had me stressing into my pillow. Oh, what do I do? I was sure I studied everything, but I couldn't remember a thing.

"I'm coming in," she announced. After a few seconds, the door opened. I heard her approach my bed.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?"

"Finals," my voice was muffled from underneath my blanket.

She chuckled. I wondered how she could chuckle at this crucial moment.

"You'll be fine. You've been studying for the last couple of weeks. Just believe in yourself."

As cheesy as it sounded, I needed that. I needed someone to encourage me. Slowly, I sat up, already ready for school.

"I don't want to go," I sighed. "What if I fail?"

"You won't. You've been working so hard for the past few weeks. I know your hard work will pay off. If you're too afraid to face your fears, you'll never get anywhere in life. Face them. As hard as it is, face them because no one else will. Not even me. As much as I want to, I can't protect you forever."

The words stung me slightly. She won't be here forever...

I shook my head to get rid of disheartening thoughts. No. She was right. I had to get out there and face it. I'll show her everything I got.

"Okay," I said softly, "I'll go. I'll go and make you proud."

She smiled, wrinkles crinkling around her eyes. "You already have. Now come. I made your favorite breakfast."

I perked up. "Pancakes? Pancakes with chocolate syrup and butter on top?" What? It's not that bad.

"Yes. Oh, and Trey's coming home today afternoon. He was allowed to come home early for summer because he exceeded his requirements."

Pride gleamed in her eyes. My brother was something else. While I struggled with school, he easily aced his major. Law and criminal justice. He was then going to come here and take some time training. It was going to be hard on him.

"He is? Well, I can't wait."

After breakfast, I was off to school. A gloomy cloud seemed to follow me, getting darker and darker as I got closer to the school. Finals. The thought was terrifying. I didn't think it would come so soon. If only I had studied last night. I thought I would be just fine and didn't take time to study at all. I thought I could just go to sleep early and ace the test. I was so wrong.

Maggie and Emma greeted me at the parking lot. Both their eyes had dark circles under them. I felt guilty. They must have been staying up all night studying while I was peacefully sleeping.