11. The Creep, the Jock, and the Quiet Girl

Eric dropped me off at my house after we had dinner. He was a pretty okay guy. I did get a bit unnerved when his voice hardened because I asked about his family.

Okay, sensitive subject. Coming to think of it, no one knew much about Eric. His family and his life outside of school was a mystery for everyone.

There were ridiculous rumors spreading around our school about him. Some said that he was secretly a vampire and he was sucking blood from strangers when he wasn't in school. In your dreams!

Others said he was a werewolf. Seriously? Why do people assume mysterious hot guys are creatures of the paranormal? They have been watching way too many movies.

I was lying on my bed thinking of my date. I let out a groan when I thought of all the embarrassing moments that happened. I acted like a child, I made a weird looking turtle, I tripped, Eric carried me. Argh! I wanted to scream. So embarrassing. And in front of a hot guy!

I'm such an idiot. My phone buzzed. I checked it. A text came from an unknown number.

C u 2morrow, Peter

Eric. I didn't send him back a text. What would I say? I would only end up making a fool out of myself.

I checked the time. It was getting late, so I decided to turn in for the night. I got in my bed and shivered. I forgot to turn on the heater so the sheets were freezing. I lay down on my cold bed and curled up.

The exhaustion of the day came flooding in and I fell asleep as soon as my eyes shut.

****

"Hey Sam!" I yelled and ran over to him grinning. I needed to tell him about my dates. Eric and Roger. The walk in park counted as a date, right?

"What's up, Nikki?" Sam greeted me like I was one of his old buddies.

"I went on a date with Eric and Roger!" I chirped excitedly. "Two more to go then you are out!"

"That's what you're so excited about? Well, I'm hurt."

I rolled my eyes. "Please. If you're out of the game, then you are off my list of people to avoid. We'll be friends."

He smiled. Ugh! That gorgeous smile! "That's not so bad. But," his smile turned into a devilish smirk. "What if I want to be more than just friends?"

"Okay," I looked around desperate to change the subject. The vending machine caught my eye. "Look! How about we get ourselves a good snack and head to class? Sounds like a plan!"

Without waiting for an answer, I strode over to the vending machine. I punched some buttons, but nothing happened. I felt something heavy on my head. Sam was using me as his darned armrest.

"Didn't you know?" I could tell Sam was smiling just from his voice. "That vending machine hasn't been working since sophomore year."

My face flushed. Right. I completely forgot. A freshman had brought his little brothers to school and the little rascals had somehow jammed the machine with dirt. Then they cut the wire. I wondered why no one took it away. They could have saved me from this embarrassment.

"I knew that," I said quickly. "I was just wondering if I could fix it."

Sam laughed, proving that my lame excuse was not convincing.

"We should get to class," I grumbled. "We'll be late and Mr. Wilson hates it when I'm late. You should go too."

"I've got a free period."

"Right," I nodded. "Then, I'll see you in history."

I was about to leave, but Sam grabbed my wrist. Great. I turned around and smiled. "Yes?"