7. Fisher's Treat

Lunch! After running laps after laps and sweating enough to fill a bathtub, I took a cold shower and changed into bell-bottom jeans and a long-sleeved maroon shirt.

I walked with my two besties and sat at the lunch table. We talked about the usual. The Big Five and the latest slut.

"Nicole," I sighed when I heard Sophie call me. "Is it true that the Big Five are trying to get into your pants?"

"Yeah," I kept my answers short. I didn't have time for this. I had to study. Yeah. Call me a nerd. I never cared anyway.

"You'd better not think you're going to be at the center of attention. They only want you to get laid. Nothing else."

"I know. Can you leave now?"

"Besides, they are way out of your league. There is absolutely no reason that they would want you. They only want to sleep with you."

"I know," I sighed. "Now that you're done stating the obvious, can you leave?" I shooed her away. She just batted her eyelashes and acted offended.

"You're just acting cool. You aren't cool, you know. There are girls way prettier than you, so don't think this will last."

"I really hope it won't."

Sophie didn't know what else to say. What could you say to someone who agreed to everything you said? I was just too lazy to get mad and disagree. I didn't need a drama queen breathing down my neck.

So, without another word, Sophie swished her hair and walked away. She swayed her hips. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"Drama queen," I muttered.

"Why don't you just take her down?" Emma asked. "She's so annoying and she's out to get you. This is counted as bullying."

"I really don't care about her enough to report her," I said, shrugging. "I just need to ignore or agree with her, then she'll leave. I don't even listen to her half the time."

Maggie laughed. "You're so lazy. Too lazy to care about the terrible things Sophie says. I like that. I like that a lot."

I grinned. "Why should I waste my energy to the likes of her when I have to take care of you guys? You guys would drain me if I paid any attention to her. And so would they."

My gaze landed on the Big Five. One was coming this way. Sam Fisher. The nice one.

Please don't come here, please don't come here, please please please.

He came here. I tried my best to ignore him, but I would have to say that Sam was my favorite from the bunch. There was no way I wanted the nicest guy to hate me.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi, Sam," I replied, not looking up.

He sat across from me. He didn't say anything else. He just stared at me. It was uncomfortable.

"Do you, uh, need something?" I asked.

"Maybe," he said smiling. He really did have a nice smile.

"What?"

"You?"

"No. I know what game you're playing."

"Why not? Don't you want your first to be hot?"

"No. People are staring. Can you go back?"

"It's not so bad."

"Girls are jealous. You know how they get when they're jealous." I shuddered. "Scary. Plain scary.