23. Curiosity killed the cat

Saturday, week two: Eric
Plans:
Dressing: up to you
Time:
Location: your place

I really did wonder if I was going to go on a date with Eric. Nothing. No time, no plans. Just my place. That's it.

I didn't know if there was anything I could do about it. I tried texting him, but I never sent the messages. It was always, where r u? or no date?

I never had the guts to send them. So I waited. And waited. And waited.

I didn't think he was coming. That was too bad because I got his present all wrapped up nicely.

I was watching Game of Thrones when the doorbell rang. I heard my mom's footsteps going to the door. I listened in.

"Oh! Mother's meatloaf! You're the one who saved my daughter!" She said hysterically. "Come in! It's freezing outside!"

Was that who I thought it was? I heard footsteps come this way and sure enough, I saw my mom leading Eric into the house.

Okay. Awkward.

"Nicole, dear," Mom said. "Why don't you go out and have some fun with your date now?"

Ugh. Sometimes my mom could be my impending doom. The embarrassment I felt was excruciating. Eric's very amused expression didn't help at all.

I growled quietly and grabbed my bag. Just as I was about to take off my stuffy hat and parka, Eric decides to come to take me out. I really wished he had some kind of solid plan like the others.

Mom gave me a knowing look before smiling and telling us she needed to "feed the dog". She really couldn't come up with a better excuse to leave? Seriously, it was obvious that we didn't even have a dog.

"You're mother's a lot like you," Eric said smugly. Nice to see someone was getting some entertainment from my misery.

"What's with your plan?" I asked, holding up the notebook. "All the important stuff are missing!"

He shrugged. "It wasn't my idea. Alex filled it out for me and then told me to fill the rest in. I don't have time for that nonsense."

"And yet you're here?" I asked.

"The game's still on, you know."

"Really?" I sighed. "I thought you guys called it off."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. I just did." They seemed like such good friends. It was a shame they were only nice because of a stupid game.

"You watch Game of Thrones?" Eric asked when he saw the TV screen.

"Yeah," I answered and turned it off. "My brother's been pestering me to give it a try. Anyway, what's our plan? Ooh, how about we go to your place?"

Eric raised his eyebrow. "My place? For what?"

"I don't know where you live," I said. "I know where everyone else lives, but not you."

He seemed to be reluctant to let me see his house.

"Come on, Eric," I insisted. "It can't be that bad."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," he said seriously.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Just, not there," he crossed his arms.

I wondered if I should keep pleading or if I should just accept it and do something else. No. I was stubborn and curious. Not a very healthy mix.