6. Flirting, Hating, and the Death Whistle

I looked at Alex suspiciously. He was being nice. Too nice. He was sitting next to me in Chemistry. He usually sat behind me.

"What do you want?" I asked.

Alex put his arm around my shoulder. It was heavy. I shoved it off.

"I just want to hang out," he said innocently.

"Yeah, why?"

"No reason. You just....interest me."

"Uh huh." I looked through my notes. We had a quiz today. Alex grabbed them from my hands.

"Hey!" I reached for my notebook.

Alex pulled it out of reach and held it up. He squinted at my writing.

"Give it back!" I tried to pull his arm, but he was too strong. He held me at bay.

"This is useful," Alex remarked. "I think I'll need it."

"What? No! Take your own notes."

"You take good notes," Alex said as if it was obvious. "I'll copy them down. I can borrow this, right?"

He didn't even wait for my answer. He just started to copy them down on the spot. I tried to snatch my notebook a couple of times, but Alex wouldn't let me.

"Alex, I need to study," I said. Did I really have to beg for him to give it back? "Please give it back."

Alex gave me a cheeky grin. "Maybe, maybe not."

"Seriously, we have a quiz!"

"Hold on, I'm still on the second page."

"You're copying down the whole thing?"

"Of course I am. I haven't been taking any notes."

I rolled my eyes. What the heck was wrong with this guy?

"Alright, tell me what's going on," I demanded. "There are plenty of other girls who would be wanting you to take their notes. Why me? Is it because of Joey?"

"No, it's not because of Joey," he mocked and continued to write. "But I think he'll tell you later."

"Well, I hope it's nothing."

"Why?" He asked, a sly look on his face.

"You're making me uncomfortable."

"You're cute when you're mad."

"I didn't need to know that."

"Too bad."

"You're being a jerk."

"I always am."

"It's a good thing you know. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Why? I'm proud to be me."

I sighed and shook my head. "You're impossible. Is this your way of flirting?"

"Ooh, you catch on fast."

"Why would you do that?"

"Maybe I want you to fall for me?"

"No thanks. I have more important stuff to worry about."

"Like what? What could be more important than me?"

"This quiz!" I snatched my notebook when he was distracted. I studied until Dr. Smith gave out the quizzes, avoiding Alex's outstretched arm.

He kept bothering me, but I managed to ignore him. He even tried to copy my quiz. Dude. Really? Doing that will get the both of us in trouble.

Once the class finished, I ran off to my English class. Alex kept following me until I entered the classroom. I had to push him away before he finally left.