16. Die Twice, Live Twice

I was at the deeper end of the pool. My feet couldn't touch the ground. I struggled, trying to reach the surface.

Silence surrounded me. All I could hear was the blood rushing in my ear and my increasing heart beat. I needed to breathe. But the more I struggled to get up, the more it seemed like I was being pulled down.

My lungs felt like they were about to burst. I swallowed a bunch of water and bubbles surrounded me. My heavy clothes dragged me down.

I can't swim! I thought. Air! Water? Help!

I tried to shouted, but water filled my mouth. "Joey!" I tried to shout. All that came out were bubbles. I swallowed a handful more of water. I couldn't die like this. My lungs hurt from a burning sensation.

Help! I could only think the words. Somebody. Help....

My vision darkened. My struggles became sluggish. I needed air, but I could only swallow water.

Please, I begged. I could hear the music outside. It was muffled by the water. No one could save me. Fear struck my heart.

My eyes drooped. My vision slipped. Where was my guardian when I needed him? Joey promised to protect me. Where was he? Trey. I needed my brother.

There was a splash and my droopy eyes caught someone swimming towards me. Trey? What was he doing here?

Who cares? My brother was coming to save me. I smiled at him. I needed to hold on. He came closer. I never knew anyone could swim so fast.

His arms snaked around my waist and my eyes finally closed.

****

"Nicole!" A voice echoed in my head. "Nicole!" Trey? I opened my eyes and coughed.

Water spluttered out and I gasped for breath. My coughing didn't stop and I looked up. My vision was blurry, and I sat up. I looked around and saw a crowd forming around me.

My clothes were soaked and I felt the cold rush of wind. My lungs and heart hurt from not being able to breathe.

"W-what happened?" My voice came out in a whisper. I saw Joey running towards me. It wasn't him. I saw Trey when I was in the water. "Trey?"

I looked at my savior. Eric. He saved me yet again. How is it that he was always there when I was about to die? It was supposed to be Trey or Joey.

His eyes filled with concern and I smiled. "You keep saving me," I said.

Joey ran over. "Nicole! What happened?"

"I...I don't know." I thought about what happened. Someone pushed me. Someone freaking pushed me into the pool.

Eric helped me get up. My legs felt like jello. I stumbled forward and felt strong hands on my shoulders.

Maggie and Emma ran over. Never in my life was I so happy to see my two best friends. They hugged me and we stayed in a tight group hug.

"Guys, I'm wet," I laughed.

"We don't care, Nic," Maggie sniffled.

"Are you crying?" I asked.

"We're so sorry," Emma said. Her voice was muffled from pressing into my clothes. "I should have come out here with you."

"It's not that big of a deal," I said softly.

"Not big of a deal?! You almost died!" Maggie exclaimed. Our group hug broke off and Emma handed me a blanket.

"Well, I didn't."