5. Mending Relationships....or Not

School became my own hell-hole. Joey and I became the school's latest topic, and everyone came to me to ask about Joey. I sighed now, looking at Sophie. She had a freaking notebook with her. What was she? A reporter?

"So, Nicole," Sophie said in a professional voice. "I want you to tell me all you know about Joey. What is his favorite color, favorite food? What kind of girls does he like? Does he like sexy girls, or the cute and innocent? Do you know if he....."

I walked away, leaving Sophie still reading off of her list. I sighed. Ever since that stupid boy announced it to the whole school, I became the center of attention.

Nothing much changed for Joey except for the fact that he gained more fangirls. They thought it was adorable that he apologized. I mean seriously? He was drunk.

"Hey, Nicole," Caroline came over to me.

"Please leave," I muttered. I ignored her and walked on.

"Hi, Nikki!" Mary waved.

"Not interested."

"You wanna sit with us at lunch?" Gloria asked.

"No."

"Let's be partners in our next project!" Tina suggested.

"I'm fine, thanks."

"Wanna have a sleepover?" Hannah asked.

"Not with you."

"Hi, bestie!" Claire said. "How are you doing?"

"Very terrible, non-bestie."

"So..." Wendy started.

I didn't even let her finish. "Goodbye, Wendy."

I sighed. The girls only wanted to be friends with me because they wanted to know more about Joey. I wished they would just leave me be.

I ran into my Calculus room. I bumped into something hard. I looked up and my grey eyes met Eric's dark ones. I gulped as he looked down at me.

"S-sorry," I murmured. I made my way around him. I saw Joey sitting at the back of the room. I walked up to him deliberately.

I put my hands on my hip and waited until he looked up. "We need to talk," I said sternly. "Meet me by the lockers after school. My locker."

With that, I turned on my heel and sat on my seat.

****

I looked at my watch and tapped my foot impatiently. What was taking him so long? Ugh. Joey. He must have stood me up. Where was he?

I saw Eric approach me. His hands were in his pockets and his bag was slung over one shoulder. I ignored him, thinking that he would just pass me. Instead he stopped in front of me.

"Joey's not coming," he said shortly. His voice was gruff and husky. It added on to his intimidating image.

"W-where is he?" I asked. Ugh. I could not talk to him without stuttering.

"Beats me," he replied. "He skipped after math."

"Ugh, Joey!" I muttered. I looked up at him. "Alright. Thanks. I gotta go!"

I waved and ran to the entrance. I got my bike and rode to Joey's house. I knocked on the door.

"Joey!" I yelled and pounded on the door. "Come on, Joe! You can't hide forever!"

The door opened. Mrs. Gordon seemed surprised to see me.

"What's wrong, dear?" She asked.

"Is Joey here?" I asked.