19. Daddy Problems

"Nicole! Trey!" His eyes glistened
as he came running towards us. Trey pulled me back and protectively put himself between Dad and me.

"You don't know how much I missed you," Dad's voice cracked.

So many emotions flooded through me. Joy, anger, sadness, hate. But most of all, I was shocked.

"Joey, take Nicole inside, now," Trey ordered. "Mikey, Jack, make sure she's okay. Be the big men and make her happy."

Jack nodded and pulled Mike along. I was frozen on the spot. Here was the man I hated yet missed so much. I wanted to know how he was doing, but I didn't want to hear that he was happy with that woman.

I felt tears well up. No, I will not cry. Not in front of this....this stranger.

Joey pulled me and I let him drag me to the house. Mom was watching from the front door. She had mixed emotions too. I could tell. I touched her hand gently and she smiled sadly.

I looked back to see Trey standing angrily in front of the man we called our father.

"Come on, Nicole," Joey said softly. "Let's get out of here."

Joey led me to my room. I blindly followed behind him. After all these years, why did he come back? What did he want? After missing so many birthdays, so many Christmases, why now? Why after we moved away from the pain? He came back and stirred up more.

How could he do that? Questions ran through my head, but no answers came to mind. I slumped down on my bed. I felt so many jumbled emotions inside, yet I felt so dead.

"Hey, you wanna play a game?" Joey asked. I knew he was trying to get my mind off my dad. He really did know me like the back of his hand. A distraction was exactly what I needed.

I nodded and Joey set up the game console. We played one of my favorite games. It was an old game I used to play with Trey when I was younger. It was called Snow Bros and there were two players, one snowman with red clothing and another with blue.

I kept dying because my mind was not on the game. Joey sighed.

"Come on, Nick," he said. "It's no fun when you don't have a competition."

"No, sorry, Joe, but I need to go see what's happening. Can you take care of the boys for me?"

Joey searched my eyes then surrendered. "I'll keep them occupied."

I nodded gratefully and went downstairs. I was almost sure that dad left, but I saw him at the dinner table. The Gordons had arrived, but they were sitting quietly in the living room.

I took a deep breath and went to the kitchen. Trey was sitting on the long side of the table. Dad was sitting at the head.

"....don't know what else to say," he finished.

I quietly entered the kitchen and sat down next to Trey. He glanced at me, then leaned to my side.

"Go back to your room, Nicole," he whispered solemnly.

I shook my head. "Trey, he's still our dad. Just because he left us doesn't mean that I can't see him. I want to hear his excuse."

Eventually, Trey gave up and turned his attention back to our dad.

"I was a fool," he said. "I really thought Monica loved me. I was lovestruck and I was blinded by lust. I'm so sorry. I know I don't deserve to even see you guys, but I missed you so much."

There was silence, broken only by this man's sobs.

"She took off with my money," he said. "I know I don't deserve it, but after what she did, all I wanted was to see you. I lost my job soon after because of huge debts. Monica bled me dry."