Chapter Thirty Eight

Harry had told Zayn Malik to meet him on the corner of the brown-eyed boy’s estate at seven o’clock on the Friday morning for a surprise. It was barely an instruction, yet the skinny boy had set his alarm for six after packing a backpack with the essentials that were scrawled on the piece of paper given to him by Harry a few days before, the previous night. He’d pulled on one of Harry’s plaid shirts that the curly haired boy had told him to keep, and then some jeans before walking away from his Mother’s house so that he could stand on the corner of the estate ready for Harry to meet him. His raven hair was across his forehead, his glasses perched on his nose and his drawing book in his hand as his brown eyes looked down the road, quickly counting all of the small birds that were sat on a telegraph wire as he did so.

Ever since the start of the summer, the two boys had been inseparable. If Harry was at his home, it was almost guaranteed that Zayn would be with him. The two boyfriends spent as much time with each other as possible, and Harry just couldn’t get enough of the boy. The long hours of the day would be spent running around in Harry’s garden with waterguns or lazily cuddling under the rays of the sun on the lad’s trampoline, and the nights were always the same, spent by the crackle of the chiminea as they waited for the stars to slip out from the dark skies above them. The two boys would sit up and talk about anything, their eyes always fascinated on the other’s lips, but if there were no words then the silence shared was just as golden.

Mid way through the week when Harry patted the boy’s bum as he showed him out of the front door after another sleepover and then gave him the note, with the four letters of his name written carefully at the top.

“Friday at seven, fluffball.” Harry had told him, with a kiss on the cheek, and now Zayn’s brown eyes wandered across the street, looking over the pale morning sky, and the small sun that was starting to peek over the tops of the buildings and houses. He had wondered what Harry had had planned, as he thought back to the items that were carefully folded up into his backpack. His pyjamas, his toothbrush, his pencils for drawing and a few pairs of underwear. Harry had drawn a small winking face by the side of the latter.

Zayn’s brown eyes flickered back towards the direction of where Harry’s car would be coming from, and soon enough, the little vehicle came into view. Harry was sat in the drivers seat, grinning as he came closer to the boy. Zayn giggled a little, his mind still wondering what Harry had planned.

Harry’s small red car pulled up at the kerb, the curly haired boy leaning across the front seat so he could beam a smile at Zayn. Zayn waved a little, the pages of his drawing book still held tightly in one arm like a baby, before he leaned forward and opened the car door. Zayn couldn’t help but smile as the smell of Harry’s cologne and fast food hit him. He liked the smell of Harry’s car, it smelt like curly haired boy, and the pizza boxes that were now removed from the back had added up to the smell as well.

“I was starting to think you wouldn’t meet me this early, but you did!” Harry said excitedly as Zayn sat in the front seat, closing the car door shut gently, his backpack and drawing book on his knee. Zayn smiled over at Harry, his brown eyes looking over the messy curls that were caught in a beanie, the sweeping of sleep under Harry’s green eyes and the dimples, which seemed to prominently stay out in Zayn’s presence.

“Of course I would meet you, you told me too.” Zayn replied, before he gave a small yawn and looked at Harry with happy eyes. Harry found the boy all too cute, and the soft peck he planted on the boy’s lips after he yawned was too irresistible for him.

“You ready to go on our first adventure, fluffball?” Harry asked excitedly, as he looked over Zayn’s sleepy smile. Zayn’s brown eyes suddenly sparkled, his grip on his backpack and drawing book tightening in excitement.