Chapter Twenty Seven

Liam Payne walked out of his class with a ragged sigh. His schoolbag was hung off his shoulder, half opened from where his laziness hadn’t been able to find the effort to close it. It was another hot day, the temperatures soaring, and all Liam wanted to do was take a cold shower and wear nothing but his favourite pair of basketball shorts. But of course, he was stuck in this sweaty school uniform, which clung to his body the minute he started to sweat. He rolled his eyes and huffed in annoyance as he yanked on the top of his tie, telling himself not to make the mistake of wearing his long-sleeved shirt again. He wiped his forehead a little, the whirring of the room fan still echoing in his ears.

His mind started to question why he had chosen such hard, homework-riddled A Levels to study as he walked into the sixth form corridor and headed to the common room for lunch. He’d had Double English and then History, both lessons had been in cramped classrooms with un-opening windows and little or no air conditioning, and not to mention rowdy teenage boys that were in a bad mood due to the hot weather. His mind felt heavy, like at any minute his heavy brain would cause him to be top heavy and fall over from the amount of information it was carrying on his shoulders. Liam was just looking forward to a relaxing hour of lunch with his three best friends, Harry included today, he would doubly make sure of it.

As Liam walked towards the sixth form common room, flocks of other sixth form students had the same ideas, and the small corridors were loud with the sound of teenage boys moaning and groaning about the weather and the heat. Liam rolled his eyes as a couple of year thirteen’s pushed past him, loudly chatting about how they were going home to make good use of their study leave by their pool. Liam grumbled, wishing that he too had study leave, although that was a privilege he would only have in year thirteen. Liam’s mind started to drift and daydream as he made his way down another corridor, a back corridor that meant going down to the common room by the longer, but more quieter way, but the daydreaming immediately stopped when his big brown eyes saw the sight in front of him.

Zayn Malik, the skinny little mute boy that has always had a way of creeping Liam out, shuffled out of the art room with a couple of bulky looking sketchbooks in his hands, his brown eyes were scanning over something on the sketchbooks as he walked towards Liam. Liam frowned a little. Even when he walked, or shuffled awkwardly more like, the kid didn’t make a noise. His feet stepped along the ground like he didn’t want to hurt the damn carpet, and the only real noise that came from him was the shuffling sound of his backpack rubbing against the back of his blazer. How the kid was wearing a blazer in such hot weather Liam will never know.

On any other occasion Liam Payne wouldn’t have looked twice at the kid. Why would he? Like he said, Zayn Malik creeped him out, especially the way he blanked out every five minutes to stare at something minute like a pencil sharpening was a little creepy too. Liam’s top lip curled up slightly as his mind traced back to the time when he and Zayn once shared a class or two in high school, and everytime Liam would glance at him the boy would be staring at something like it would get him a good grade or something. Liam shook his head out of annoyance. The kid was fucking weird, and he was glad that Niall wasn’t like that. If his younger brother were like Zayn, then Liam would have to lock the creepy kid out of his room to stop him from staring at everything. Liam’s lip seemed to curl more in distaste.

But, Liam was looking at the kid today, because Harry Styles had been leant against the wall opposite the art room with a slight smile. Liam had immediately stopped, darting behind a column that seemed to hide his broad shoulders pretty well. His head had been bopping a little, due to the blue headphones that were coming from his ears, but once Zayn Malik walked out of the art room Harry’s head ceased to bop to the song he was listening too. The small smile seemed to grow wider and the boy pulled an earphone from his ear, before his other hand reached forward, the curly haired boy’s finger prodding into the cheek of the mute kid. The silent boy gave a slight flinch and looked up with flashing brown eyes, but the minute they saw Harry, the whole boy’s tense body seemed to ease into a relaxed position, and the kid even smiled.