Chapter Thirteen

The rest of the boys started to file out of the art classroom the minute the school day ended at half past three. They had all sighed with delight that they could finally go home, or follow out the plans that they had made for that school night, as they shoved their bags over their shoulders and made their way from the classroom, nodding to Mrs Martins’ reminders about homework. Soon after the boys had left, Mrs Martins had packed up her bags and left too, and now it was only Zayn left in the stuffy art classroom.

Zayn had hardly heard the class bell ring through the sixth form. The boy hadn’t heard the other boys leave the classroom, and he hadn’t even noticed Mrs Martins leaving either. Zayn was far too interested in the tiny golden specks that were hidden deep inside of his favourite pair of emerald green eyes. His mind was like an overhead projector, he had the image of Harry looking at him and smiling in his head, and his hands were working overtime to copy it out onto the paper. Zayn put an amazing amount of effort into every piece of work he did, whether he realised it or not, but this was by far one of the most important drawings he had ever done in his life. Harry’s eyes were so full of happiness and warmth, and a small smile spread across Zayn’s lips when he remembered the way those green pools would twinkle ever so slightly when Harry smiled. Harry was just perfect to Zayn.

The heat of the room wasn’t really affecting Zayn’s work either. Zayn could sit through smouldering heat or blizzards of cold and still take as much time as he needed to draw this picture of Harry’s eyes. Zayn’s eyes were set down onto the paper, watching every fine movement of the fast moving pencil in his hands. He looked over every detail that he was drawing, and smiled in pride. He had never enjoyed a piece of art so much as he was enjoying this. His black hair was folding over his eyes, and the longest tips of his fringe had poked behind his glasses, which kept slowly sliding through the bridge of his nose. Occasionally, he would push his glasses back up his nose slowly, and take a small second to look over the two eyes that were looking back at him on the piece of paper, before his pencil soon found the paper once again.

He was too caught up in his work to see the tall, curly haired boy stood by the door, looking over Zayn with the very same green eyes that he was drawing. The real pair of eyes were carrying so much unexpressed pain inside of them, like clouds of rain that were hanging low inside of the boy’s mind, instead of the happy sparkling ones which were the only pair that Zayn ever seemed to see.

“Why do you let them treat you like that?” Harry Styles’ voice suddenly came thick and fast, hitting Zayn’s body like a bullet. Zayn quickly jumped a little, dropping his pencil and slamming the sketchbook in front of him in fright. He wasn’t used to Harry’s voice being so low and serious, and for a moment, it had sounded like Zayn’s Father.

When Zayn turned around to see who it was, the small smile couldn’t help but spread across his face when he saw Harry by the door. He was stood upright, on his own two feet, with no need to lean on anything. His brown curls were ruffled across his forehead, framing the two green eyes that looked deeply and incredulously into Zayn’s soul. Zayn had completely forgotten what Harry had said, he was too busy looking at the blue watched wrapped around his wrist. The small padlock tattoo was above the band of the watch, and Zayn’s eyes quickly scanned over a couple of scribbles of blue pen, before what looked like the name ‘Louis’.

“Zayn?” Harry’s voice came again, no difference in the tone. Zayn quickly looked up at him, the same smile plastered on his face.

“Why did you let that guy just grab you and throw you on the floor?” Harry asked with a slight frown on his face. Harry’s hands slipped into his trouser pockets, and as Zayn said nothing, the frown on Harry’s face set deeper into his face, and his elbows moved up and down for a moment. Those green emeralds were flickering around the room before they reached Zayn again.