Chapter 16: Waiting is Best? (Luna pov)

~~~~~~~~~
I could taste the spearmint on his breath as I crashed my lips to his. A certain dance was performed with our hungry lips. He licked my bottom lip, asking for entry. I obliged and the next thing I knew he was exploring my mouth with his tongue.

After a couple minutes of snogging I decided that it was enough. I pulled back and rested my forehead on his, staring into his eyes while our ragged breath mingled.

"That was amazing. Luna you can't deny that you have feelings for me, I know that you felt it too. The sparks."

It was true I did feel the sparks, they sent little shivers up my spine during the kiss. But I didn't know what to do about the feelings between us. I couldn't date him straight away, I would seem slutty. I decided to wait so that I would have time to make sure that I was doing the right thing.

"I did feel the sparks Draco... But we can't rush into this."

"I don't understand why not."

"Think of it this way, I just found out that Neville had been cheating on me and almost everyone knew I was in love with him, if I suddenly started dating you it would seem slutty and/or desperate. So I don't want people to think that of me."

I could tell that he didn't understand. Draco didn't get how bad it would be for me to move straight into this relationship.

"Listen, I don't understand why it matters what everyone thinks about us. I didn't think that you were the type to please the crowd."

Wow, he really didn't get it. "It's not just about everyone's opinion. It's about me sorting out my heart, my feelings. If you can't give me time to sort everything out, then you must not care enough."

He looked undecided for a moment before he continued "I'm sorry. I do care enough though, I will give you time to sort out your heart. Whatever you decide, I'm here for you in whatever way that you need me."

"Draco give me about a week, that's all I ask."

He thought for a moment, "Okay, I know that you still love Neville but I will try to win your heart from him. I will make it so damn hard not to love me, that you will have no choice but to choose me."

He stood up and kissed my cheek, then he just walked out of the room.

"By the way it's almost time for breakfast!" Draco called over his shoulder.

I got up and closed my door so that I could get dressed. I was definitely not ready to go to class, especially considering that I only slept for like four hours. I got dressed anyway, even though I didn't want to.

I met him at the door after I was ready. As we walked to the great hall Draco slid his arm around my waist. I didn't want anyone to see so I pushed him a little.

"Not here Draco, someone might see. Besides we're not even dating yet."

He just rolled his eyes and walked on ahead. He didn't care what people thought, that much was clear. I ran and caught up to him. We walked in silence for a while, until we came to the Great Hall.

The noise level was deafening, way louder than usual. The doors opened in front of us and some younger students came out. They were giggling and talking until they saw who we were. The girls froze in their tracks and stared at me. I began to feel uncomfortable and decided to walk around them.

I could hear their whispers behind me, somehow I knew that they were talking about me. I opened the door and walked into the Great Hall with Draco trailing behind me. Everyone stopped talking all at once, they were staring at me and Draco. Everything was quiet for a minute until professor Mcgonagal cleared her throat, then the hall erupted in whispers.

Draco started walking and I followed him, trying to ignore the stares and whispers. We finally made it over to our table where Theo was already seated. After we sat down he stared at us, with absolutely no shame.

"Theo! It's not polite to stare, you know." Draco yelled, startling him out of his trance.

"Are you going to tell me what went on yesterday? Everyone is talking about it but no one has said anything even logical." Theo said.

Draco and I looked at each other and I nodded.

"Well yesterday Neville was found in a broom closet snogging Hannah Abbot. Luna got really upset and broke up with Neville, then she slapped Hannah and punched Neville. She broke his nose actually. Then she walked away and I punched Neville."

He paused to take a breath then went on. "After that Luna and I met up in the hall and Mcgonagal found us. She took us to her office and gave us detention. Oh yeah, Luna also took points from Neville and Hannah and she gave them a months detention."

Theo looked like this definitely wasn't the version he had heard. But I guess that since everyone in Hogwarts had heard about it, it had gotten very twisted.

"Whoa, that's not what I heard. I heard that Neville was sleeping with Hannah in your dorm. Then you guys walked in and saw them, I also heard that Luna and Hannah had a full out brawl over Neville. Then I heard that the guys were fighting and Mcgonagal walked in." Theo's version was definitely different.

"That's so not what happened. Besides how would Neville have gotten into our common room." I told him.

He shrugged. I guess the gossip mongers don't think everything through. I looked around the room, at all the gossiping students. My eyes landed on Neville's table of all places. He looked pretty banged up, his nose had been fixed but he had a strange purple bruise where Malfoy had probably punched him.

I turned my attention back to my table, the topic was now 'Are any of the professors married?'. I joined in saying that I thought professor Grubbly Plank might be.

After a few minutes of discussion it was time to leave so the three of us picked up our bags and went to our first class.

The whole day Draco distracted me from the lessons by doing stupid things. Once he passed me a note that had a moving drawing of two people kissing on it. Us. Then he put a telescope to his lips and sang a song in astronomy. Draco also tried to prove his bravery by defending me against some very friendly wood elves in care of magical creatures. Not to mention the way his blonde hair flipped into his eyes when he wasn't paying attention, or the way I could still taste the spearmint from his lips, or when his eyes crinkled at the sides when he laughed.

Draco was basically a very lovable idiot the whole day. He wasn't joking when he said that it would be hard not to love him. I couldn't let myself completely forget my love for Neville just yet, but maybe Draco could fill the emptiness inside me that Neville had left behind.