Chapter 37: The letter

Chapter 37: The letter (No pov)

~~~~~~~~~

"Luna, hurry up in there," Draco was growing impatient.

Luna had been the bathroom for an hour or longer. She didn't intend to come out with Draco watching. The stomache flattening spell had wore off and her shirt wouldn't fit over her pregnant stomache any more. Luna didn't want Draco to see her looking like a blimp.

"No! Use the other one," Came her reply.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, I just need a while."

Luna crossed her fingers, and was relieved to hear his footsteps echo down the hall. Luna quickly gathered up her stuff and looked out. No Draco.

She sighed and went into her room. Luna locked the door and went over to lay down on her bed. In a few minutes she was asleep. When she woke up there was no light coming through the window. It was night, to her it meant that no one would be awake.

Luna crept to Draco's door and heard him snoring softly on the other side. Luna walked out of the portrait hole and turned to the porfessor. He studied her curiously.

"You may want to cast a spell over your stomache. There are still eyes in the school, even after dark.," The old man warned.

Luna complied and walked downstairs to the kitchen. She came back up laden with food. Dumbledoor didn't ask for a password, instead he swung the door wide open.

Luna walked in and sat by the fire. Luna ate a green apple and smiled at the memories it gave her. Draco still had the same apple/mint breath. A moment later the brownies she had brought up were eaten and the eggs as well. Luna sighed and got up.

Draco stood blocking her way, his eyebrows raised. His arms were crossed and he lightly thrummed his fingers on his forearm.

"If I didn't know any better I'd say you were cheating on me with food. Are you sure that's my baby, I want a muggle test thing done," Draco joked.

"Haha, I was just hungry. Okay?"

"No, I'm not okay, you've been avoiding me all day. What's wrong Luna? And don't lie," Draco said cooly.

They both sat down on the couch and snuggled up.

"I went to the doctor yesterday. We are having twins. Your mum is probably still up and about picking out paint swatches for thier bedrooms," Luna looked up to gauge Draco's reaction. He looked surprised, but not unhappy.

"That's great! Can you believe it, two babies! I hope that we get one of each gender. Love, this is awesome but its not what's bothering you. Tell me."

"Its just that I'm fat... and I never have been before. I'm tired, and hungry, and sick all of the time. I also go on these random fits of happiness, anger, depression or whatever else comes up. I can't stand that spell any longer. Now when I use it I feel like a whale in a corset. I just feel ugh, and I know that you probably have better things to do than deal with my hormonal antics."

"Luna, I love you and your antics. First of all, you're pregnant, when that spell wears off you're going to see a weeks worth of growth that wasn't there before. Second of all, you're pregnant, it means that you're going to feel all kinds of crazy things. Rememer the first few months. And third as soon as you get in here you can take off that spell. No one actually said you had to wear it for a week straight, that's just when it wears off.

"You aren't fat, you are carrying our two children. I know that its a lot of work and I wish that I could help with it, but I can't. Now, stop worrying and go lay down, you need your sleep," Draco made Luna feel a lot better.

They went to bed but it was a while before Luna could sleep. All she could think about was that the babies were lucky to have a father like Draco, just like she was lucky to have had a father like Xenophilius.

It had been hard for Luna to realize that her father wasn't coming back. When she finally did realize it, she knew that she could only move forward. Luna layed down her grief and put a wall between herself and her grief. Luna was also helped by Draco, who made everything easier by taking her mind off of the sad things.

When sleep found Luna she didn't dream at all.

~~~~~~~~~1 week later~~~~~~~~

Draco lay awake watching Luna dream peacefully. Every so often she would murmur his name and turn over. Draco sighed and got up. He wouldn't got any sleep that night.

Earlier on that day he had recieved a letter from his father. Its contents put him on edge.

'Dear Draco,

Earlier today I was looking at the Malfoy family tree. What I found quite disturbed me. I found that Luna is related to us very distantly by her father, he is a pureblood after all. It was her mother that concerned me, hers wasn't a last name that I had ever heard of in the wizarding world.

So in response I did some research. I was in shock. Luna's mother is a muggle born witch. Luna is only a half-blood. Draco, you know that the Malfoy line is pure to the point of supeiriority. I simply cannot let you marry Luna and taint our line. I beg you, forget about this girl and don't allow her to give the children the Malfoy name.

Once again, please don't go through with this. Stop this madness. I could set you up with a nice pureblood witch. Astoria Greengrass has an exceptional blood status and is extremely wealthy and beautiful.

      Your concerned father,

                            Lucius Malfoy'

The letter seemed horrible to Draco. He could not bare to think about doing what his father was asking. Draco loved Luna with all of his heart,  the thought of leaving her and his unborn children was just too much.

Draco walked outside the portrait hole and sought Professor Dumbledoor's guidance. Draco told him almost everything that had happened since the beginning of the school year. By the time he was done he was almost in tears.

"So you see Professor, Luna and I have been through too much to for me to lose her now. I feel like I only got her yesterday. What shall I do professor, I can't just give up," Draco said.

The old man stared for a moment, as if he were analyzing every detail. Indeed he was.

"I suspect Mr. Malfoy, that your prophecy is coming true."

"What do you mean?"

"'Take heed in the father who has no living soul, he will stop at nothing to keep his line pure'. I'm guessing that is your father. I'm sorry to say it, but it seems to be so."

"I see. But would my father stop at nothing to keep his line pure?"

"I don't know, would he?"

Yes, Draco thought. He knew that his father was a pureblood to the extreme, he would stop at nothing.

"I-i need to go now professor. Th-thank you," Draco said and walked back in.

Draco sat down heavily on the sofa and sighed. He gingerly picked up the letter from his father from his desk and placed it in the fire.

"Incendio," Draco said, and he watched the letter burn.