Chapter 11: I'm Sorry (Draco/Luna POV)

Chapter 11: I'm sorry
~~~~~~~~
(Draco POV)

Pain. That's all I felt. It traveled, branching out from my heart, all the way to my toes. She hates my guts, and apparently we were never friends. I thought I could trust her.

My heart felt plea for her not to date Neville turned into a shouting match. No one had ever shouted at me like that. That didn't bother me as much as her dising our friendship. Then she called me a death eater, that hurt the most. I was reminded daily of my past but that dug up old wounds.

As I stood there breathing deeply, staring into her eyes professor Mcgonagal came in. I didn't look at her, I just stared at Luna.

I had to look though when she cleared her throat loudly. My eyes lingered on Luna then my attention turned to the professor.

"I know that you are both Head Prefects and you have a lot of responsibilities, but skipping out on a patrol isn't acceptable. I expected you both to report to my office at 7:00 sharp but no one showed up. Then I came to check on you, because being the caring person that I am I was worried. However I found the two of you having a fierce word duel. I expect that you won't let your personal lives interfere with your duties?" She barely took a breath as she said that whole speech.

After a "Yes professor." from the both of us, she said quite seriously, "I know this is about something personal but I don't want you both miserable over it so I think that you should see whatever it is from the others eyes." She gave us one last wavering glance and walked away.

Luna and I stood in silence. She was looking a bit remorseful now, as she should. Mcgonagal's advice floated through my head. I guess I could actually see where she was coming from. It was me who started calling her Looney Lovegood, and I made fun of her a lot. I guess Neville was her solace, her refuge during all her traumatic events. When he outgrew her, she died inside. Now that he wants her back, she definitely won't turn her down, Luna probably loves him.

That thought hurt; I wanted her to love me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Luna POV)

I can't believe I called him a stupid death eater. He definitely didn't deserve that, it was below the belt.

After Mcgonagal left I thought about what it was like in his shoes and I just couldn't understand. I didn't know why it mattered to him. My head just couldn't piece anything together.

He must have actually thought of us as friends. I know I did. I don't even know what made me say we weren't. He had let me get through the first level of his shield and I had basically destroyed it.

Sometimes I am such and idiot. Maybe I should apologize, no he should because he started it, no I should because I was more cruel. Thoughts like these kept going through my head, the whole time we just stood there and stared.

"I think we should ah, patrol. You know, so Mcgonagal doesn't have our heads." Draco was always the first one to break the silence, this time was no exception.

I nodded and we headed out. It was quiet, too quiet through our whole patrol. When we were finished Draco went to tell Mcgonagal that we were done. I walked back to the dorm alone.

When I got in my room I sat on my bed and cried. I cried enough for every mean word that was exchanged. I knew that it had to be me to apologize, it was my fault after all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Draco POV)

When I was returning from Mcgonagal's office I kept on thinking in her point of view and I realized that she didn't know I like her. So I seemed like some jerk who didn't want her to be happy. I wanted to change her mind about me, but I knew today just wasn't the best time.

I needed to be the first to apologize, that was the first step to showing her I care. I had to prove to her that I want her happy. I would wait for her, she could be happy with Neville but when she fell I would be there to catch her.

I made it back to them dorm and found Luna sitting on the sofa, fidgeting. I knew that now was the time. I walked over to her and I opened my mouth the same time she opened hers.

"I'm sorry!" We both yelled at the same time.

"Ishouldnthavecalledyouastupiddeatheater-ishouldrespectyourdecision!" We both spoke at the same time again. It came out a jumbled mess but I understood every word and I knew that Luna did too.

She reached for me and hugged me, I felt my shirt get a little damp, I knew that she must be crying. I pulled back and wipes the tears from her face.

"There's no need to cry Luna it's all over, I'm not mad." I tried to reassure her.

She smiled faintly and got up. She told me that it was late and that we needed to go to bed so I obliged. Minutes later I heard my door squeak open.

A small voice from the other side said "Can I slytherin with you? I can't seem to sleep."

I couldn't help but laugh at her humor. I told her yes and I felt a warm body 'slytherin' next to me. Once again she snuggled up next to me and I just had to wrap my arms around her even though I knew that she wasn't mine.

As I fell asleep, drunk on the scent of her strawberry shampoo, I started to dream. It was a dream about my past. The part of my past when I was a bully, every incident that I had ever made fun of Luna in replayed through my dream. Except this time I would say "I'm sorry." after every incident.