Chapter 12: Old Friends And New Friends

Chapter 12: Old Friends and New Friends
~~~~~~~~~
I'm glad that Draco and I are friends again but he still seems a bit reserved. I thought that my lame joke would make him lighten up but it just made him laugh a little. I was a bit scared at what would happen when Neville came to pick me up for dinner the next day, but Draco didn't even come out of his room. I didn't tell Neville about the fight, I felt like he didn't have to know.

Neville and I's relationship felt different than before. He was more lustful and edgy. For some reason I felt like I couldn't wholeheartedly devote myself to Neville. He seemed like a new person, and he always seemed like there was something he was hiding from me. I knew that if it was important he would tell me so I didn't press him for details.

The weeks following the fight were spent between Draco, Theo and Neville. In a way it felt like my parents were divorced but had joint custody of me, they were always passing me around. I never had time to do anything outside of them and school.

After a few weeks of this I was kinda tired of doing the same things everyday. Make out with Neville, Draco glares, Theo laughs, I get escorted to meals by either of the three, do homework, classes, go tithe library etc. Always the same routine, I couldn't miss my old lonely routine but I wished that I had a day to myself.

That day came on the next Hogsmead trip. Draco and Theo had to go to a meeting about the late quiditch season, and Neville had an essay to complete for transfiguration. So when Saturday came I wondered down the path alone.

The weather was a frosty, I could feel the wind nip my skin even though I was well layered. A layer of leaves covered the ground and I was glad that Christmas was two months away, I hated snow. Besides Christmas would be spent alone this year, daddy had a Quibbler conference in France during my Christmas break. I would stay at Hogwarts, it's not the worst way to spend Christmas.

When I was walking down the trail all lost in my thoughts a snowball came out of nowhere and hit me. As I turned around I got pelted from behind, I heard some giggles coming from behind some trees along the path.

When I got to the trees the giggles stopped, a loud popping sound issued from behind me.

"Ouch! Ginny I told you it wasn't a good idea!" A familiar voice said. Hermione.

"We would have escaped if you hadn't have made so much noise." That must be Ginny.

I walked over to where the had tried to apparate, they had failed and had landed in a tangle if arms, legs and hair. Ginny and Hermione, they were quite comical to look at.

"So I'm not sure if I should help you or laugh at you. It was you two who attacked me after all." I ended up laughing.

Hermione looked a little flustered but Ginny was laughing along. What confused me the most was that there was no snow on the ground, just leaves. After I got over my laughter and helped them I asked about it.

"Magic. I had to do the spell of course but Ginny is the evil mastermind." Hermione could always make everything vague and straightforward at the same time.

"Oh, well I guess I had better get going then, see you around." I started to resume my journey down the path.

"Wait! Aren't you going to come with us? I don't throw magic snow at people for no reason you know." Ginny was always that one friend who did things her way. We had drifted apart over the last half year, but I guess that didn't mean we weren't still friends.

Hermione was another story though. We were never actually friends, sure we shared some kind words but I think my crazy creatures had turned her off. Not that I believed in them anymore. She however didn't know that. When I belived in nargles and crumple-horned snorcacks, I didn't like her because she was always trying to prove me wrong. Now that I knew I was an idiot, she seemed pretty nice.

Our trek to Hogsmead was filled with mindless chatter until we reached the Three Broomsticks. Surprisingly it wasn't as full as usual, so when we ordered three butter beers they were served quickly. We chose a table in the back to sit at, and it was relatively quiet.

After we were all seated and sipping on butter beers a conversation began.

"So Luna, what are you doing for Christmas?" Ginny asked.

"Well, I'm staying at Hogwarts. My dad has a conference to go to during my break so I can't stay with him." I took a slow sip of butter beer.

"Maybe you can spend Christmas at the Burrow! It would be a lot of fun, right 'Mione?"

"Definitely. You should come Luna, at least for a day or two."

"Well, I wouldn't want to impose, but I guess if its ok with my dad."

Ginny and Hermione smiled and the conversation drifted.

"So Luna does Malfoy really sleep in the same bed with you?" Ginny was in gossip mode.

Ginny knew everything that went on, nothing got past her, but I still wanted to know where she got this.

"Um halfway. We share the same dorm and he comforts me if I have A bad dream, where did you hear this anyway?"

"Well a couple of people were saying that they wished they were you, because you get to sleep in the same bed as Malfoy and..."

"And what Ginny?" I didn't like where this was headed.

"Erm and sleep with him and Neville."

"Again with the rumors! No one tell Draco he'll punch someone, then I will lose my nonexistent reputation because everyone will think it's true." I might have rambled a little.

"Malfoy? Why would he punch someone, and what do you mean 'Again with the rumors'?"

I didn't want to explain so I looked at my watch.

"Whoa, look at the time I really must be going."

She pushed me, rather forcefully, back into my chair. "No Luna you will sit here and explain if it takes all day." There's my bossy Ginny.

I explained everything. From the moment Neville and I broke up to the moment Draco and I forgave each other. I watched their faces intently as I spoke. Surprisingly Hermione was the first to speak.

"Wow, you've had a more eventful year than I have. I just can't believe that Malfoy is your friend."

"I understand but he really has changed for the better. I just feel like we get each other, you know what I mean?"

"Well not really, but I can see a change in him. First of all he hasn't called me a m-u-d-b-l-o-o-d or said anything to me really."

"Yeah and he hasn't said anything about me being a blood traitor or Weasel King's sister."

The bells on the door jingled as someone walked in. I caught a glimpse of outside, it was getting late.

"We should do this again sometime, but as for right now it is getting late and I need to complete some charms homework." I said.

"Yeah, we should get back too. How about in three weeks, the next Hogsmead weekend, we have a sleepover?"

Hermione and I eagerly agreed. With promises to see each other soon and well wishes we said goodbye. I made my slow trek back to the castle.

Now that my make believe creatures weren't in the way, Hermione and I got along fairly well. Maybe we could be friends. My thoughts were then consumed by ideas for the sleepover three weeks from now.

As I stepped through the portrait to the common room I was greeted by the sight of an empty common room. No Draco. It didn't look like anyone had been in there all day. Draco must have still been at the meeting. I passed the time by completing my charms homework. After I finished I decided to wait.

After an hour of waiting I decided that I would have to sleep alone. Ever since I had my nightmare Draco had slept with me or near me so that I wouldn't be alone. As I slid into my sleek, silk sheets I did however feel alone.

I drifted off to sleep hearing the wind howl outside my window. Although I don't remember much about my dream I do remember that it was saturated with Draco. Everything was about him, his face, his smell, his clothes. He filled my subconscious, dream swept mind.

That was the first time I had slept alone in a while, and I dreamt of the person who kept the left side of the bed warm.

A/N: I love all my readers, but Voting, Commenting, and Following makes me love you even more.
XOXO, Danielle Malfoy