Chapter 45

John

I drank my coffee slowly and eat the cake Brenda left for me. Brenda has gone to bed and I wasn't ready because I was worried. I have been trying to reach Susan but her phone was in voicemail.

The house seems empty without Susan and Morgan too. I know Harry will kill me first if something happens to Morgan.

She has been so restless this afternoon and when she took the car this evening to Kate's house for dinner. She only called an hour later to stay as hangover and Brenda said it was okay.

I reached for my phone and dialed her number, it was switched off. It almost 11:20pm and I wondered how I will look knocking on someone's door this night.

I went to my room and grabbed my jacket, there's no car to take to Kate's house but I don't mind walking. The house phone rang and I dashed down the stairs to pick it.

"Hello." I said as soon as I picked it.

"Hi I want to speak to Edge." A thin voice said at the other end of the line.

"Who is speaking?"

"Kate."

My leg felt weak that I quickly took a sit. "isn't she at your place for dinner?" I asked trying to keep panic out of my voice.

"No she's not, I invited her to dinner and she said she can't make it, I just want to remind her of the geography assignment."

I took few rapid breath. "Okay."

"Is she not at home?"

"Am afraid yes."

"Okay." I heard a rumbling sound. "Let me make a few phone calls and I will get back to you."

"Thank Kate." I said and ended the call. I paced up and down the kitchen wondering if I should wait for Kate's call, wake Brenda or call 911.

I heard the phone ring and I quickly picked it. "Yes."

"I called Kelvin and he made a few calls but they haven't seen her."

"Thank you." I muttered as sweat beaded on my forehead.

"Am already on my way, you should call 911." She said.

"911?" I asked stupidly and held my forehead.

"Not 911." Brenda came to view. "They will only wait for twenty four hours."

"Mr Williams are you still there?" Kate said.

"Thank you Kate." I said and ended the call.

"She's not in town, I could feel it, she just crossed to the next town let's hurry." Brenda said briskly and dashed out of the kitchen. I took my phone and followed her.

"There's no available car." I said locking the front door.

A car honked and Kate slide out. "So Edge isn't at home?" She asked her voice shaken. "I was just driving round the corner."

"She's out of town, we have to find her." Brenda said. "Mind if we borrow your car?"

"No, am also coming." Kate said and before I could protest the two of them jumped into the driver's sit.

"I will drive." I said and watched them moved to the passenger sit. "Kate, your mum and dad..."

"They know, my friend needs me." Kate said.

I didn't say another word, I only start the car and headed out of town.

"You should hurry, she needs help." Brenda said.