Who's to blame?

Donavan's POV

There was no time to think, I could only act. I felt like my body was possessed and I was looking through the eyes of someone else but it was still me.

Seeing Spencer laying there in a pool of her own blood killed me. I knew, even without being told that she had lost the baby.

The kitchen was already getting filled up by the guests who had heard her scream. I immediately rushed over to her, picked her up in my arms and ran towards my car. Before I drove off, I caught sight of my mother standing in the corner of the house watching the whole scene unfold. Something in me told me she had something to do with this, but I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

While maneuvering in and out of traffic, I called up Conrad Spencer's dad.

"What happened?" he said on high alert.

"B..Blood.. she's losing the baby." I stuttered out.

"We'll be there in 2 hours" he said disconnecting the call.

I sped all the way up to the hospital and carried her bloodied body inside.

"Help! please help she's bleeding." I yelled.

Immediately, two male nurses rushed out with a gurney and carried her to an emergency room. I followed after them, my entire body shaking in fear and anger.

I just find out I'm going to be a Dad and less than an hour later, that happiness is taken away from me. Spencer is going to be inconsolable when she finds out.

My poor baby, I can't believe she's going through this. I was pacing back and forth outside the room for about an hour when the doctor finally walked out of her room with a sad look on his face.

"Why happened? Is my girlfriend okay? is the baby okay?" I asked frantically.

"She's asking for you." he said, taking off his gloves.

I immediately opened the door and I felt like breaking down when I took in her predicament. She had a faraway look in her eyes, they looked cold.

"I lost them." she whispered.

"Huh? who's them?" I asked confused.

"My babies Donavan, our babies. I lost them." she said as tears streamed down her face.

"Twins? We were having twins?" I asked sadly.

She nodded and started sobbing uncontrollably. I held her, comforting her. I tried to stay strong for her but I couldn't. I released a few tears of my own on behalf of my first two kids. Kids I'll never have the honor of knowing.

After a few minutes, she pushed away from me and all signs of sadness was gone from her face replaced by pure anger.

"Where is she?" she growled at me, her eyes flickering like it always did when she was mad.

"Who baby?" I asked trying to approach her but she stepped away from me.

"Your witch of a mother, where is she? She did this to me, she's the reason they're gone. She laced my tea with something Donavan and I want her head!" she growled getting angrier.

For some reason, I couldn't believe her. Be it denial or just in the moment, I couldn't get myself to believe that my mother would harm my child.

"You will not go anywhere bear my mother while you are this angry. I know you're hurt Spencer but don't blame my mother for your misfortunes. She's a lot of things but a murderer is definitely not one." I barked at her.

She looked at me in disbelief. Sadness and hurt in her eyes.

"You think I'm lying?" she whispered.

"I don't know what I think right now, but don't go blaming people. Whatever happened was nobody's fault but y..." I couldn't complete it. I knew it would hurt her even more.

"You think I'd kill my own babies?" she said. She was looking at me like she was just seeing me for the first time.

"Not intentionally.. no no that didn't come out right. Isn't the first stages of pregnancy the most critical? That's when you're supposed to be careful right? maybe you did something wrong or didn't eat enough or..." I watched as she grew angrier with every word I spoke. I was definitely digging myself into a deeper hole.

"I can't believe you just said that." she said turning away from me.

I tried to approach her and she sent me a deadly glare that had me frozen in my tracks.

"Leave."

I never knew one word could hurt so much. The tone of her voice when she said it, the anger and resentment was undeniable.

"Baby please don't.." I tried to say but she cut me off.

"Get the fuck out Donavan!" she yelled eyes ablaze in fury.

Without another word, I turned around an walked out of the room only to see a frantic Conrad, Chris and Kaden running towards me.

"Where is she?" Kaden yelled.

"Where's my baby Donavan." Conrad said trying to keep a calm demeanor.

"She's in there." I replied pointing towards her room door.

All three of them ran in the direction of her roomy leaving me in the hall to wallow in my self pity.

I couldn't help but consider what she had said though. My mother? Was she really that malicious?

I drove home with a lot on my mind, the look on my mothers face as she watched me carry a bleeding Spencer into my car kept coming up in my head. She looked satisfied.

I pulled up to the house and stormed into the house looking for her.

'Mother!" I yelled out to the empty house and got no response.

I went out back to the garden and saw that everyone was still here but they were now having dinner. I watched as my mother socialized and laughed with everyone like someone just didn't bleed on her kitchen floor less than a few hours ago.

"Did you do it?" I asked approaching her.

The place immediately went silent as they took in our encounter.

"Do what sweetie?" She asked in a sickeningly sweet voice.

"I'm going to give you one chance to tell the truth. Did you hurt Spencer?" I growled out in an animalistic tone I didn't even know I possessed.

People at the table started backing away from me, my mother too.

"D..Donavan, your eyes, they're silver." my mother stuttered.

"Answer me!" I growled and watched as everyone flinched.

"She's not good enough for you! why couldn't you just fall for Grendel!" she yelled trying to but on a brave front.

Grendel? how the hell does she know about Grendel? Spencer once explained to me that she thought Grendel was being controlled by someone else. I guess now I know who that someone else is.

"You're the one who sent Grendel?" I asked.

"Yes, I gave her all the power she needed and she still couldn't make you fall for her. Just useless." She scoffed.

Is this woman sane? She looked like a lunatic right now.

"I had to kill those babies Donavan, if I hadn't you would've been stuck with her forever. She's a gold digger!" she screeched.

That did it. Confessing to killing my babies. I felt something in me snap. I growled as I felt like I was being pricked by multiple needles in my bones. Everyone watched in awe as my bones broke and realigned themselves and less than a few minutes later I stood on all fours zeroing in on my target and launched.

A/N
How quick I update depends on you guys, the more comments and votes I receive, the earlier I update.