Chapter Thirty Nine

Okay so I got a bit of a reaction from the 'yet' comment in the end of the last chapter.

DONT FREAK OUT

It was a simple word, not meant to imply anything! This story is only a few chapters away from finishing though, so I can't really put in any other big events.

I mean, 40+ chapters is okay, right?

----

Chapter Thirty Nine

I woke up an indeterminable time later, to find Lucas awake and watching me intently. His expression was torn between pity and shock. Wow. I must have looked terrible.

The drugs were still effective, which was a relief for the pain.

Lucas smiled at me when he saw I was awake and grabbed the glass of water, holding it up suggestively. I nodded with my eyes, and he held the cup to my lips. I could only swallow once - my throat was practically raw - but it felt much better.

"Everyone's here. They have been for days."

My eyes widened. They didn't need to come! I didn't want to mess around with everyone's schedule!

"Hey no don't be like that!" Lucas said, knowing (as always) how I was feeling before I did. "They all care about you! They want to make sure you're okay. They wouldn't be here if they couldn't or didn't want to."

I exhaled and rested my head back on the pillow, lacking the energy to argue.

A few minutes later, a nurse burst into the room, a bright smile plastered on her face.

"Hello love! Great to see you're awake! Quite the hit you took, wasn't it? But the doctor got you cleaned up. So I'm just going to check you vitals, don't mind me!"

I smiled, and when I say smile I mean tried to turn the corners of my lips up which probably resulted in some cross between a grimace and a look of constipation. Not my finest hour.

The nurse bustled around, checking readings and inspecting my bandages. Lucas held my hand and made funny faces, which lightened the mood.

"So do you know what happened sweetie?"

I shook my head slightly. It was true. Something about a car?

"Well you're quite the hero! Apparently there was a young girl in the middle of the road, and you pushed her out the way of a car, which then hit you full force. The right wheel crushed your lower body, hence the cast, and you took a huge hit to your spine. You stomach was also hit, no external wounds but suspected internal damage, which was fixed in surgery."

God. That sounded like something out of a movie!

Nothing like that ever happened to me!

Well, except for the whole falling in love with a supernatural creature that shouldn't exist thing...

But apart from that, I was a normal girl!

Who apparently got run over while saving someone?

Wow.

The nurse refilled my water cup and kept talking. "So, like I said, they operated on your stomach and lower spine. The surgery went well, considering the low survival rate expectancy, so that is a huge plus! You and your baby are fine, and you should be mobile and out of here within a couple of weeks, month tops. Birth may be a bit of a situation though...but that's not for nine months so we can cross that bridge when we get to it..."

She kept rambling, but I wasn't listening anymore.

What the hell?! I wasn't pregnant! Had she got the right patient??

I furrowed my eyebrows and shook my head. "No," I whispered, my voice hoarse.

"What's wrong? Don't you like the pillows?"

I shook my head. "Baby...not me..." I managed to croak.

The nurse straightened and glanced at Lucas. "Oh...I thought you knew...I'll let you take this one..." She grabbed her clipboard and left the room.

That was weird. I looked at Lucas who was looking at me will excitement in his eyes.

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Well, before they did the operation, they had to do blood and scans on you..."

I nodded impatiently.

"And the tests revealed that you're pregnant."

Pregnant?! ME!?

This pure feeling of elation grew in my body, stretching up to every core of my being. I was carrying a baby, another human. Something Lucas and I had made.

We were going to be parents!

Oh shit we were going to be parents!

I had only just turned 17!

I hadn't even finished school yet! And what are you even meant to do with a baby? What if I dropped it or forgot to feed it or made it sick or put alcohol in its milk by accident!?

Was I ready to be a mother?

Despite the obvious issues, the thought of giving my baby up triggered actual pain in my heart. I knew there was no way I could give it to someone else.

I could do this.

We could do this.

My face stretched into some kind of smile and I looked up at Lucas, tears in my eyes.

I may not have been ready to be a mum, heck I knew I wasn't ready, but this was nothing but a blessing and I would do everything I could to make it right.

Lucas was looking at me cautiously, probably expecting me to freak out or something.

Tears of happiness were forming in my eyes.

"We're having a baby Charlotte!" He gushed, grinning in relief at my obvious happiness.

"Together..." I whispered.

"Together."

That night, I managed to position myself on the bed so there was enough room for Lucas to lie next to me. We talked for hours, his presence being enough to keep me awake. I was given some drugs for my throat so I managed to croak out a few words

"She's going to be beautiful." Lucas said.

"She?"

"Yup. It's definitely a girl."

"Oh really?"

"We can name her...Jemma..oh! Hazel is pretty. Scarlett? Hmm..."

I exhaled a small laugh, my eyelids drooping.

"I think it's a boy."

"Well whatever it is, it will be perfect. Just like its mother."

I scoffed, slowly drifting to sleep. "I hope it's like its father."