Chapter Thirty Four

Super short chapter, but it kind of has to be... And it was about 2 pages on words...so...

Don't hate me! 

Thanks!

-----------------

Chapter Thirty Four

“I was thinking...”

I put my book down and smirked at Lucas. “Careful, your brain might explode.”

“Hah hah.” He said. His hair was wet from the shower and his smell bombarded me as he got into the bed next to me.

“But yeah...how about we go away? Just you and me for a while, before your school starts and I have to go back to full time duties.”

I reached over and ran my hand through his soft hair. “That sounds perfect! Where will we go?”

“We have a house down by the coast, and I’m pretty sure it will be free at this time of the year.”

I squealed and sat up, bouncing closer to Lucas. “Can we swim?”

“Of course!”

“Build sandcastles?” I was honestly so excited!

He chuckled at me. “If that’s what you want!”

“Woo!!! Can we go tomorrow?”

“I’ll just call my dad and check if it’s free, and if it is then definitely!”

I bounced up and down, excitement attacking me. Beachouse...time alone with Lucas...what could be more perfect?! It would be a great way to finish the strangest, but best, holiday of my life.

Lucas walked across the room and picked up his phone, dialling his dad’s number.

“Hey, Dad, how’s it going...” I stopped listening, laying back on the pillows and looking at the ceiling. Who would have thought that my life would take such a dramatic spin? If someone told me where I was going to be and who I was going to be with a few months ago, I would have laughed in their face and referred them to a mental hospital.

But I wasn’t complaining. There was no place I would rather be.

Lucas finished his phone call and got back into the bed.

“So?”

“So, we can go first thing tomorrow!”

“Yay!” I screamed and kissed Lucas. I tried to pull back, but it seemed that he was in a playful mood, and spun me around so he was hovering over me, his hands braced on either side of my head.

I frowned. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“You still have you t-shirt on.” I pouted.

He laughed and leaned down to kiss me. “Not for long.”

--

Lucas threw the last of the bags into the car and closed the boot.

“Ready?”

“Ready!”

We waved to a few of the guys who were lounging on the front steps. “See ya!” I called.

Lucas started the car and I got into the passenger seat. I fiddled with the radio for a while until I came to a suitable station that actually played real music, not that electronic crap that seems to be so popular.

For the first few hours of the drive we chatted and joked, simply enjoying each other’s company. But, as usual, I really needed to use the bathroom, so we stopped at a cute little town.

After using the bathroom, I skipped back to the car where Lucas was waiting for me.

“Hey Lucas, I saw a little shop back there. How does an ice cream sound?”

He grinned lazily at me. “You know me so well.”

“I’ll grab them! You wait here.”

I skipped down the road to the crossing, where I noticed two things too late. One – there was a little girl standing in the middle of the road and two – if she didn’t move, the car barrelling down the street and about three hundred miles an hour was going to smash into her.

They say when you’re faced with a life or death situation, your brain either goes into fight or flight mode. Flight, meaning you stand there like a dead fish, or run away screaming. Fight, meaning you step up and be the hero. Or at least try to.

And at that moment, putting two and two together, I went into fight mode.

It was as if everything was in slow motion, as my legs, using a mind of their own, carried my body to the middle of the road. My hands reached out and shoved the girl out of the path of the car.

But I waited a second too late to move myself, and only briefly registered the hulking body of metal screeching towards me before everything went black.