Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

LUCAS’S POV

It took twenty four minutes to get to the nearest hospital.

Twenty four minutes of agony.

Twenty four minutes of the blood stains on Charlotte’s clothes spreading.

Twenty four minutes of watching her life slip away from her.

We finally arrived at the hospital and Charlotte was taken straight up to the emergency resuscitation room.

Sirens and alarms were going off everywhere, and everyone was yelling at each other. Masked doctors bustled into the room and began cutting away Charlotte’s blood-soaked clothes. Nurses were injecting things into her and wiping up blood. I hovered uselessly, unsure of what I could do to help.

One of the doctors spoke up. “We’re going to have to operate. She’s loosing too much blood. Take her to the theatres and someone call Doctor Martin! We’re going to need the best for this...”

I turned frantically to the doctor, grabbing his arm before he followed the nurses out the door.

“What’s happening? Is she going to be okay?!” I practically hissed.

He winced, and I loosened my grip. “Look, I’m going to be honest with you. She’s not in a good state. Doctor Martin is our best surgeon, he’ll assess the situation and we will do the best we can. But we can’t guarantee anything.”

“NO! You have to keep her alive!”

“Son, I know this is hard-“

“Don’t fucking tell me you know how I feel! Go and fucking s-“

The doors behind me burst open and Jared and Adam ran in, shirtless from probably having just shifted.

“Lucas, come on bro. There’s nothing you can do.”

They grabbed an arm each and gently tugged me towards the door. I looked back at the doctor, who looked worried.

“Please...just save her...” I whispered, my voice breaking.

He nodded sullenly, and left the room.

In a daze I followed Adam and Jared to a waiting room.

“She can’t die....” I whispered, slumping against a wall to the floor.

“She wont die. She’s stronger than that.

I didn’t bother answering, and dropped my head between my knees.

About ten minutes later, (according to the clock, it felt more like ten hours to me) a doctor came out, his face grave.

“Are you here for Charlotte Parker?”

I pushed myself up and looked down at him. “Yes, what’s happening?”

“Are you blood family?”

“No I’m her m- boyfriend. Her parents are overseas somewhere. What’s happening?!” My words came out strangled and desperate.

The doctor ran his hands over his face. “She’s stable at the moment, but we need to operate. She’s suffered severe stomach wounds and spinal injuries. Without an operation she will most likely die in a few hours.”

My stomach twisted. “Then what the hell are you waiting for then?!”

He looked at me with pity clear on his features. “There’s something I need to tell you... We just got all her tests back, and Charlotte is a few weeks pregnant. I assume the baby is yours?”

And just like that, my world changed.

She was carrying my child! This bittersweet elation coursed through me and a huge smile stretched on my face.

Now, not only was Charlotte holding me to this earth, but my child, my own flesh and blood.

Our child.

We were having a baby!

“We’re having a baby?” I whispered.

The doctor sighed and closed his eyes. “I take it you didn’t know. Charlotte probably didn’t either. So this operation, I am so sorry to tell you but the statistics aren’t good.”

Then, as soon as it had picked up, my hope dropped.

“Aren’t good...as in?”

“There’s an eleven percent change that Charlotte alone will survive, and only a five percent chance that the baby will survive as well.”

His words hit me like bullets in the chest. I stumbled back slightly, my vision going hazy. I was vaguely aware of the arms that grabbed me for support.

“Sir, we need an answer. Do you give us your permission to operate, or do you not want to take the risk?”

I looked to my sides, my Beta and best friend holding me upright. They were looking at me with sorrow.

Shit. My brain wasn’t thinking. It took me a whole minute to process what he was asking me.

Do I want Charlotte to die peacefully, or die fighting?

Because that’s what he was telling me, right?

She was going to die.

Our baby was going to die.

Everything that meant anything was going to be gone in a few short hours.

More people burst into the room, people from the pack, I think. But I took no notice of them.

Death was close.

I gulped and opened my mouth, choosing the option I knew, I hoped, that Charlotte would pick.

“Operate.”

Charlotte would never give up that easily, and neither would I.

*Cue the dramatic music*

I honestly love you guys. I know some of you probably have stories with millions of reads, but where my story is at now honestly astounds me...

I have 1000 votes!

Tens of thousands of reads!

And the best part is getting to talk to you guys. I love the conversations some of us have.

I'm just so happy!

Except for the whole, you know, Charlotte and her baby dying thing... That's pretty sad...

But who knows what I have up my sleeves....

SO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING