Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

The first thing that came to my mind when I woke up was that my neck felt weird. It was a mixture between throbbing, heat and stinging, and wasn’t exactly unpleasant, but was new to say the least. I tried sitting up, but felt dizzy and flopped back onto the pillow. Lucas wasn’t in the room, and frankly I was too exhausted to even try and get up so I drifted back into a light sleep.

My eyes twitched open as the bedroom door was shut gently. Lucas smiled at me and knelt down next to the bed, eye level with me.

“How are you feeling?”

I smiled slightly, memories from last night drifting back to me. “Drained, emotionally and physically. Is that normal?”

He reached out and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. “Yeah. It’s usually not so bad, but with you it’s a bit different. One, you’re a human. And two, it’s getting you ready to be Luna.”

I nodded, unable to keep my eyes open anymore.

His soft lips brushed against my temple and I fell back asleep.

I don’t know how long I slept for, but I recall groggily waking up a few times. Sometimes Lucas was there, others he wasn’t. It wasn’t until what I later found out was two whole days that I could finally find enough energy to wake up properly and get out of bed.

My stomach was screaming at me for food, and I needed to see Lucas. Sure, he had been with me most of the time, that I could feel, but it wasn’t the same when I was asleep.

When I got up I found that I was no longer in my dress, but in a pair of grey cotton shorts and a baggy while t-shirt. I blushed at the thought of Lucas changing me, but shook away those thoughts. I shouldn’t feel embarrassed. It was just my boyfriend.

I left the room and walked straight into Jared.

“Charlotte! You’re up!” He seemed surprised, but his voice sounded relieved.

I opened my mouth, but let out a weird croak. I guess sleeping for 48 hours did that to your vocal chords. Clearing my throat, I smiled at him.

“Yeah...I was out of it for a while...”

He nodded. “I didn’t even know that happened to humans. Briar was out for about three hours.”

I raised my eyebrows. “Wow. Lucky for some. I feel exhausted!”

He patted my shoulder awkwardly. I laughed and slapped his hand away.

“So have I missed anything?”

“Just the horrible job of cleaning up the party. You got off easy girl!”

I shrugged innocently. “Whoops!”

He left for his room and I went downstairs. I found everyone in the lounge watching a movie. I stood in the doorway for a while, watching everyone. Well, when I say everyone I really mean Lucas. No matter how many times I looked at him, I couldn’t believe how beautiful he was. And he was mine! The thought alone sent shivers spiralling down my spine. Who would have thought I was so adverse to the idea of being here a while ago?!

I stepped into the room and Lucas saw me, a huge smile stretching across his face. I couldn’t help but grin right back at him. He looked at me so intensely; it was almost scary that one smile could hold so much emotion.

“Charlotte!” He ran over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, picking me up and spinning me around.

I laughed and hugged him back. “Morning!”

“More like evening! Are you feeling okay?”

I nodded, but was contradicted with a yawn. “Okay, a little tired still. But I’ll get over that!”

“I’m sorry for doing that to you.” He frowned, looking upset.

“Are you kidding!? The small amount of tiredness I feel is nothing compared to how happy I am right now. So stop acting like you killed me.”

He unwrapped one of his arms and saluted me, earning himself a punch in the shoulder. “A little violent, are we?”

I rolled my eyes and kissed him, a slow, gentle kiss. I forgot we were in a room full of people, until a pillow hit my head.

“Ow!”

“Do you guys mind?! If we wanted to watch some saliva exchange we would have watched the notebook!” Finn screamed from the couch.

Lucas chucked the pillow back at him, the force knocking him off the sofa. I laughed and dragged Lucas back to the sofa, where we settled in and watched the movie. I was proud of myself, because I managed to not fall asleep! There seemed to be a recurring theme with my inability to stay awake most of the time...

We were all heading to the kitchen to grab some dinner when the doorbell rang. Being the mature boys they were, they all screamed ‘dibs not getting it!” Leaving Lucas the one to do it. He rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand, pulling me to the door.

As we walked there, he started tickling my side, so I was having a laughing fit as he unlocked the door and pulled it open.

But as soon as I saw who was standing there my laughter died and my mouth dropped open.

Shit.