Chapter Twenty Three

Lucas and I woke up to a huge crash, followed by a tyranny of screams. I groggily sat up, confused about where I was or what was happening. Lucas however, was a whole different story. I have never seen someone literally jump out of bed before that morning. But apparently it was possible. Lucas propelled himself out of bed, instantly awake and on guard.

“Wait here,” he demanded.

I rolled my eyes, blatantly ignoring him and following him out of the room. He sighed when he saw me following him, but grabbed my hand and jogged downstairs.

We followed the noise to the kitchen, where a group of guys were crowded around something. Everyone was yelling, offering their own opinions and advice.

I widened my eyes at the group of panicked males, but as soon as Lucas stepped in the room they were all silent.

“What’s going on?” He said in a steady voice.

Jared stepped out from behind a few people with a freaked out look on his face. “You might want to have a look at this...”

The crowd parted for Lucas, and there on the ground was Jack. His eyes were squeezed shut in pain and he was making strange, agonised noises. It took me a minute to see what was wrong, but as soon as my eyes landed on the wound I realised what the panic was about. The entire skin of his left leg had been scraped off, and a deep cut was etched into the middle. Blood was oozing out of his skin and it did not look pleasant.

“Shit Jack! What happened?” Lucas asked, bending down to inspect the wound.

He opened his mouth and spoke in a tense tone. “It was an accident. I tripped and knocked over the knife block thing, one landed in my leg and I fell and skidded across the corner of that steel bench.”

I covered my mouth as I eyed the bench, sure enough stained with blood and skin. That poor boy! He was only about 15! He must have been in so much pain!

But he was acting so brave, despite the pain that was clear in his eyes. I knew what I had to do.

“Okay, Lucas and Jared, can you please gently carry Jack and lay him on the table? Adam, do you know where a first aid kit is? Oh and Finn, would you mind getting a damp facecloth?”

My common sense took over, and I focused on the task I had – fix Jack’s leg. There was nothing else to it, it was as if I had to help him.

The boys looked at me for a second, but when Jack let out a pained moan they immediately jumped to action. Within minutes, all the items I asked for were lying on the table next to Jack.

“Jack look at me.”

His eyes, black with pain, quivered up to mine.

“You’re being so brave, we’re all really impressed. And I know you’re in so much pain right now, but in order to sort this out I’m going to have to clean the wound which might hurt.” I worked as I spoke, hoping to somehow distract him from what I was doing.

I hid a grimace as I inspected his leg. I grabbed the scissors and cut a slit in his shorts. Dousing a swab with medical disinfectant, I gently dabbed at his leg. He let out a hiss of pain.

“Shit shit shit!” He groaned. I looked up at him and stopped.

“Do you want me to stop? We can take you to a hospital if you like?” I told him gently. He shook his head and closed his eyes.

“It’s okay, go on. Please.”

I nodded and began disinfecting the wound again. I looked meaningfully at Lucas, who was staring at me with his mouth slightly ajar. He seemed to know just what I was thinking, and launched into a mindless conversation with Jack. Well, it was more one sided but at least it gave Jack something to think about.

I finished cleaning the wound and picked up the tweezers, pulling out a few shards of glass. I then cleaned up the dry blood with the cloth that had dried all around his leg. Then finally I put a huge white padded plaster on the open wound, and wrapped the whole leg with a bandage as the skin was pulled away.

Jack downed three panadol and sat silently for a while, waiting for the medicine to have its effect. The crowd of boys started to disperse, realising that the drama was over and there was nothing they could do to help. Only Lucas, Jared, Briar and Adam stayed behind.

“Wow Charlotte. That was pretty impressive.” Jared commented. I started collecting up the supplies and putting them in the kit.

“I know right?! Terrible wound...and he handled it so well!”

“Yes, that. But Jared was talking about the way you handled it.” Briar said.

“Me?” I squeaked. “I just did what I had to...I don’t know it just felt like I needed to.”

Lucas came and wrapped his arms around my waist. “That’s because you’re special.” I blushed and he rested his forehead against mine.

“Thank you for looking after my pack.” He whispered. I smiled and kissed him.

“Anytime. But you really don’t need to thank me!”

“As much as I love PDA in the morning, I think we would all appreciate it if you two got a room!” Jack groaned groggily from the table.

Everyone laughed and I blushed even harder. Lucas shrugged and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the door.

“Oh and Charlotte?”

I turned to face Jack.

“Thank you. You will be an amazing Luna.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poor Jack, I feel mean writing that about him. But he's brave, he'll get through it!

Thanks for all your reads and comments, they really motivate me to keep writing!!!!