Chapter Fifteen

The one you've all been waiting for! 

Thought I'd update twice in one day because you've all been so awesome!

I bit into my toast and eyed Lucas warily. He had been acting weird all morning, jittery and way too nice. Not that I didn’t like him being nice, but there was a point when things went too far.

“Okay seriously, what’s up? You look like you just sat on a pinecone.” I asked.

He looked at me and his eyes softened. He suddenly seemed confident, and taking a deep breath said, “Do you want to go for a walk with me? The forest out back is really nice.”

“I get to leave the house?! Yes yes yes!” I jumped up and did a little happy dance, forgetting all about my breakfast. I grabbed Lucas’ hand and tried (uselessly) to tug him from his chair. He laughed at me and took a quick sip of his drink then allowed me to pull him up.

I skipped towards a door and opened it, revealing a dark cupboard. Frowning, I turned to the door next to it. Opps...another bathroom.

Lucas was leaning against the wall smirking at me. “Need some directions?”

“That would be nice,” I laughed.

--

“Lucasss are we there yet?” I moaned, dragging behind. The hill we were walking up seemed to be getting steeper and steeper.

“Just a bit further,” he all but chirped. Suddenly he stopped and bent down. “Jump on.”

“Huh?”

“Get on my back, I’ll carry you!”

I grinned and jumped up, squealing as he started running. My arms wrapped tight around his neck, terrified of falling off, but knowing that he wouldn’t drop me.

“You’re such a show off!” I screamed. He only answered by running further.

A few minutes later we arrived at a clearing on the top of the hill. There wasn’t a view or anything, as the trees stretched high into the sky. They were the kind with the leaves at the top, leaving you surrounded in a world of bare limbs. It was eerie and beautiful at the same time.

I regretedley climbed off Lucas and my feet sunk down into the soft, damp forest floor.

“Wow,” I breathed.

“I know, right?” Lucas wrapped his arms around my waist from the behind, nestling his head in the crook of my neck. I shivered and laughed, pushing him away.

“Get off, you.”

He pouted, which I fixed quickly by standing up on my tiptoes and brushing my lips gently against his. I meant to keep it at a quick peck, but somehow we ended up in a full make out session.

Lucas pulled away, a sudden serious look in his eyes. “Okay, Charlotte. I need to talk to you about something.”

My stomach dropped. This was the time where he would tell me he wasn’t interested, that I was never anything other than an object to use. I could already feel the tear prick in my eyes, but I knew that was irrational. I mean, we weren’t even going out! It was stupid of me to feel so attached!

“Woah, Charlotte, it’s nothing bad!” He said quickly, as if somehow picking up on my sudden panic.

 I looked up at him, my eyes watery and blurry. “Promise?”