Chapter Thirty Three

“Charlotte, if you check your phone one more time I will throw it out the restaurant window! It has a text tone for a reason!” Bailey groaned, throwing a carrot stick at me.

I brushed away the salad dressing that landed on my face and flicked her. “Sorry! I can’t help it. They’ve been gone for three hours!”

“Breathe babe! Eat something. Your food’s getting cold.” Cassidy demanded, like a mother.

I stared down at the plate of pasta in front of me, and remembered how hungry I was. I don’t think I had eaten since lunch the day before, and I really was quite hungry.

Twirling the pasta around my fork, I tried to join in the conversation the girls were having.

“...been with him ever since. I haven’t even seen her!”

“Well I’m certainly not jealous of her...but hey, I’m sure they’re mates for a reason.”

“Who’s this?”

“Ah, so she finally decides to join the conversation.”

I kicked Bailey’s foot under the table, and she let out a yell. “Jeez...anxiety really makes you a lovely person.” She muttered.

“Sorry! Sorry okay I’m snapping out of it now.” I said, forcing a happy smile.

They all rolled their eyes but smiled back. We chatted for a little while about nothing really important, until the phone rang.

Briar, who had also been very quiet the whole time, snapped her head up. We exchanged a look. She was the only one other than me who had a mate, and both of ours were out doing god knows what. So she understood how I was feeling.

My fingers grabbed the phone and shoved it to my ear.

“Lucas?”

“No, Adam. Lucas is driving.”

I huffed and tapped my fingers on the table.

“What’s happening? Is Lucas okay? Is everyone else okay? Did you do what needed to be done?” I fired question after question, my voice getting faster and higher.

Cassidy put her hand on my arm and gave me a look. I stopped talking and took a breath.

“Wow you have a set of lungs on you girl. Everything’s fine. Calm down. Where are you guys?”

“At the restaurant.”

“Okay well we’re three minutes away. We’ll explain everything then.”

“But-“ Then the line went dead.

He hung up on me! Rude!

“They’re on their way.” I told everyone’s expectant faces. Briar let out a sigh of relief and slumped down in her seat next to me.

I squeezed her hand and she smiled at me.

Sure enough, a few minutes later their truck pulled into the parking lot, and I was out the door and running across the car park before they could even take the keys out of the ignition.

Don’t judge me. I have issues.

Lucas climbed out of the driver’s seat and I launched myself at him.

He stumbled a bit before regaining his balance and wrapping his arms around me, chuckling lightly.

I pulled back and put my hands on either side of his face. “Are you okay?”