Chapter Seventeen

Very short, but I wanted to ask...

Would you rather frequent short updates, or long updates that are not so often? 

Let me know and I can do what majority wants!

Thanks :D

When I woke up, the bed was empty. I had become so used to waking up to see Lucas watching me with that little grin on his face. Waiting a few minutes to wake up properly, I pulled myself out of bed and padded down the hallway in my pjs.

I followed the voices towards the dinning room, hearing snippets of their conversation all the way from the top of the stairs.

“...run the perimeter...”

“night guard...”

“Do you reckon.......for them?”

“Someone stole....clothes behind the border...”

I smiled, imaging what I would have thought if I had overheard the conversation yesterday. I reached the doorway of the dining room, but no one noticed me as they were all enthralled in their little meeting.

Lucas was sitting at the head of the table, pouring over maps and documents. Jared was tapping a pen against the table, concentrating hard, while the others murmured amongst themselves.

“Okay, I’ve got it.” Lucas began. “Adam, Finn, Carter and Harry – you take the left perimeter. There have been reports of some pretty vicious rogues around there so keep on guard, all right? Jared, Jack, Dylan and Ben, you come with me and we’ll cover the south part of our territory. Got it?”

It was amazing watching Lucas so absorbed and focused on his work. So far I had only seen the angry, playful, sweet and romantic side of him. His work side was, well, really really hot. Then again, I thought everything about him was amazing so maybe I was a bit biased.

I stood and watched them for a while longer, and for someone in the know, they probably would have figured something was up. Not saying I would, because I was pretty dumb when it came to figuring things out, but a smarter person would definitely guess.

So I can understand, when one of the boys finally saw me, they started panicking.

“But what if the rogues... Charlotte!”

Everyone stopped what they were doing and spun around to me, panic clear on their faces. Well everyone except for Lucas, who was grinning at me.

“How...how much of that did you hear?” Finn asked, not hyperactive for once.

I scrunched up my nose in fake confusion. “Well something about rogues...and what’s a pack? And what’s this whole night perimeter thing? Unless...”

I widened my eyes dramatically. “Um Lucas, what do we do?” Jack stage whispered.

He just shook his head and walked up to me, wrapping an arm around my waist.

“Relax guys, I told her.” The sense of relief in the air was almost palpable.

They all stared at me again, but this time warily.

“And...?”

“And what?” I asked, an eyebrow raised.

“You’re not scared? Don’t think we need to be carted off to a mental asylum?”

“If I thought that, do you think I’d willingly be standing in a room full of dogs?” I grinned, letting them know I was joking.

“Hey!” They all complained, laughing along with me though.

“You picked a good one Lucas! For a girl, she’s pretty cool.” Someone called.

“Yeah! Cool as a cucumber!” Finn gushed, back to his normal self.

Lucas kissed my cheek softly and I blushed. What would everyone else think? But they all looked like they couldn’t care less, so I relaxed slightly.

“But um, it’s kind of a lot to take in so go easy on me, yeah?” I asked softly. It was true. I mean, what, did you expect me to just adjust straight into this new life? Into something that science taught me was impossible? No, it would take a bit of time.

They all smiled warmly at me. “If you need anything, we’re all here to help!” Ben said sincerely.

“Yeah man! Gotta protect our future Luna!” Another called. The word Luna made my stomach drop slightly, as I remembered not only was I living with a bunch of wolves, but I was somehow destined to help lead them?!

But I appreciated their help, and thanked them all, as did Lucas.

For the rest of the day we played massive games of monopoly, twister and sing star, and I can tell you proudly, that I did not let go of Lucas once.