Chapter Six

Staying put has never really been my forte. Neither has not being seen or heard. My science teacher last year described me as being overly vivacious, bordering on hyperactive. You jump on a table once and you’re judged for life! So needless to say, I didn’t stay put alone upstairs for long. I mean, sure, I could have gone back to see Lucas and had World War Three inside my brain, but what was the fun in that? Instead I headed downstairs to where I was certain all the other guys would be.

Sure enough, in the same room that we watched the movie in, Finn and Adam were playing Black Ops. An evil smile crept onto my lips and I skipped into the room.

“Charlotte! What are you doing down here?” Dylan said, pausing the game and jumping up. I frowned.

“What a lovely greeting...”

“Oh no! He didn’t mean it like that! It’s just you wouldn’t leave your room before and Lucas said to make sure...” Finn trailed off, kicking his shoes against the floor.

I raised and eyebrow. “Lucas said?”

Both boys wouldn’t meet my eyes. “Nothing of importance.”

Narrowing my eyes, I decided it wasn’t worth it. “Whatever. Lucas is a douche. You guys should just ignore him. It’s not like he’s in charge of you.”

They exchanged amused looks and smiled at me.

“So what are you playing?” I said, sitting on the sofa and picking up the Black Ops case. “Looks violent.”

Finn grinned at me. “Sure is! But those zombies are nothing against us.”

“Wanna play?” Dylan asks with a puppy dog look on his face. It was so cute I just wanted to ruffle his hair.

“I don’t know...I’m not very good at those sorts of things...” I almost couldn’t hold the smile in. These boys were just too easy to bait.

“It’s okay, we’ll protect you! Besides, no one can beat us. You’ll be safe.”

“Okay! It’s on!” I smiled innocently, picking up a controller.

“And that, my dear boys, is how you properly kill a whole crap load of zombies.”

Finn and Dylan stared at me with shock and defeat clear on their faces. “What the hell?!”

“What can I say?” Fluttering my eyelashes, I gently put my controller down and sat back on the couch with my legs crossed.

Dylan narrowed his eyes playfully at me. “You sure are...something...aren’t you.”

“Hey, just because a girl beat you doesn’t mean you can insult me! Not my fault you guys suck.” Okay now I was just asking for it, but I was enjoying the hilarious reactions on their face. It was as if they wanted to tackle me to the ground, but something was holding them back.

“Did anyone ever tell you you’re annoying?” Finn pouted.

I gasped in fake shock. “You don’t mean that!”

“Yeah we do. You’re just a girl.” Dylan caught on and joined in.

“I may be just a girl, but I’m a girl who can kick your ass!”

Dylan and Finn exchanged a look, and a split second later I was pinned to the ground. “Take that back.”

I squirmed, trying uselessly to escape their iron grip. “What, the part when I said I was better than you? Because it’s only polite to tell the truth you know.”

“Right. You asked for it.”

Their hands began dancing everywhere, my feet, under my neck, my stomach and my armpits. I squealed in laugher as they found my weak spot.

“Take it back!”

“No AH never!” I shrieked, tears running down my cheeks. Let’s just say that I was slightly ticklish...

For a few minutes I refused to surrender, and they were relentless in their torture. I was seriously about to pee my pants, and the tears leaking out of my eyes were about to drown us all. I screamed and tried to kick but somehow they had all my limbs secured, while tickling me at the same time. Crazy strong boys. They were dangerous!

I opened my mouth to admit defeat, unable to take any more of that torture, when a growl tore through the room. Dylan and Finn jumped off me and turned to face the door, where a very angry, very scary looking Lucas was standing. But that didn’t explain the growling. Who the hell growls at their friends?! He seriously needed some help, kidnapping and growling must be signs of a mental problem.

The boys hung their heads as Lucas began stalking towards them. “Mine. Mine. MINE.”Each footstep was echoed by that one word and to be completely honest, he was beginning to freak me out with his weirdness. I knew I had to do something before Lucas went completely psyco and ripped their heads off or something.

He was getting dangerously close and his eyes were pure black. I could see the veins in his neck stretching and pulling with tension. Saying a quick goodbye to my life, I jumped in front of Finn and Dylan, just as Lucas was about a meter away from them.

Acting on some instinct that I can’t quite explain, I reached up and slammed my hands on Lucas’ shoulders and stared him directly in the eye, challenging him to calm down. It took a few minutes, but soon enough his eyes began returning to their normal colour and his breathing slowed. Behind me, Finn and Dylan were making impressed noises but I ignored them.

“Far out! Do you have anger issues or something?” I exclaimed in wonder, as I pushed Lucas onto the sofa. He sat there, looking slightly uncomfortable and angry.

“Charlotte. I appreciate your help but I need to deal with these two. They can’t just disobey m-“ I let out a snort and put my hands on my hips.

“You have got to get a reality check! You are not in charge of everyone! These guys can do what they want. And besides, I’m not yours, as you seem so sure of. I’m my own person so get a grip you bum!” That little outburst felt so good. I had been wanting to say something for ages, and letting it out felt powerful. But I realised my mistake soon after.

A low ‘ohhh’ echoed behind me and I threw the boys an incredulous look. When I turned back to Lucas he had jumped off the couch and was about three centimetres away from me. I jumped, startled.

I slowly took a step back, which he copied again and again until my back slammed into the wall. He put both his arms against the wall, trapping me between them. The look on his face was scary, I couldn’t tell what it was but it seemed pretty powerful.

I was practically shaking but I wouldn’t let him see that I was scared, so I kept a look of defiance on my face. His hand brushed lightly against my cheek as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. I sucked in a breath as our skin made contact, leaving me wanting more. Stupid skin.

“You, Charlotte, are mine and mine only. You will see that someday, but I understand this is hard and scary for you and I hate that I make you feel that was but it will become clear in time. Okay?” His minty breath fanned by face, and I made the mistake of staring at him in the eyes.

His little speech freaked  me out. He seemed so...sure, like what he was saying was pure fact. 

Unable to speak or even move, I nodded timidly. He smiled at me, a grin full of warmth that practically melted me. Then with one quick movement, he was out of the room, leaving me with the increasingly familiar feeling of loneliness and that something was missing.