Chapter Eighteen

All your support is overwhelming. Everytime I log in I feel like crying. Thank you so much!

Now on with the show!

My fingers brushed against the spines delicately, tingling as the stories screamed at me to read them. I closed my eyes and ran my hands down the shelves a little longer, stopping at a random novel. Grinning, I pulled out a creased spine and read the blurb.

Lucas had given me free reign on his massive bookshelf, which completely delighted the book worm inside me. He laughed from the bed as I kissed the book and skipped back into the blankets.

“This one!” I showed him proudly, practically shoving the book in his face.

“Ah, that’s a good one. But I’ll give you ten dollars if you don’t cry by the second chapter.”

I narrowed my eyes and shook his hand. You’re on.

-

About eight minutes later, I had cried my way through almost an entire box of tissues.

“But she just...she just died,” I wailed.

Lucas looked up from his own book and wiped my cheek with the pad of his thumb. “I know baby, it’s sad.” He grinned victoriously.

“If you say I told you so, I’ll go sleep in my room tonight,” I warned.

“Fine, but you know it’s true.” Shrugging, I accepted the facts.

I put a bookmark in my book and placed it gently on the floor next to the bed. Lucas did the same.

“Hey Charlotte?”

“Yeah?”

“Come here.”

I scooted closer until he wrapped his hands around my waist and lifted me onto his lap. I squealed, but settled in, wrapping my legs around his waist.

“Did you want something?”

He answered by crashing his lips onto mine. I fought with him for a while, until giving up and letting him take over. Not that I had much of a chance anyway.

My fingers laced themselves into his hair, and his hands were tracing patterns in the bare skin of the small of my back.

I moaned into his mouth and felt him smile against mine. He pulled away from my mouth and started kissing down my neck. My god that felt so freaking amazing! I wanted to scream and jump and dance and do crazy things, because it was really affecting my judgement.

“Go on a date with me?” His hot breath brushed next to my ear.

I pulled his face back up to mine and grinned. “Thought you’d never ask.”

He grinned and threw me against the pillows, causing me to scream. But he quickly silenced that.

When my eyes were too heavy to keep open and my lips were swollen to about three times their normal size, I finally accepted the fact that I really should get to sleep.

I told Lucas that and he pouted. “We have a lot of time for that later!” I complained.

He thought about that for a second. “True...okay, let’s sleep.”

Lucas turned the light out and I settled into him, practically moulding into his side. It was as if I was built just the perfect size to nestle into him. We fit, like a puzzle.

“You better not take me to some fancy ass restaurant,” I mumbled, half asleep.

“Wouldn’t dream of it. Sleep well, gorgeous.”

I kind of mumbled/grunted in response before sleep took over.

--
“Wake up wake up wake up!” A huge, white, soft thing (which I later identified as a pillow) hit me full on in the face, waking me up from my peaceful sleep.

“Oofpsjh.” I groaned incoherently.

“Up and at em Char! We have a long day ahead!”

I sat up groggily and wiped my eyes. Lucas was jumping around the room like a little boy on Christmas morning.

“Did you have, like, ten energy drinks or something?” The light in there was really bright...I thought through my half awake haze.

“Nope! Just excited! Now are you getting up or do I have to dress you myself?”

I glared at him, but got up anyway. I jumped slightly at the reflection in the mirror. My hair was freaky, sticking out at every angle, and I’m pretty sure some of last nights dinner was crusted in there. Lovely.

“You’re pretty lucky, getting all this first thing in the morning.” I said sarcastically, gesturing to my hair.

Lucas was next to me in a flash and poked my nose. I scrunched it up and suddenly his hands were around my waist, and I was spinning in the air, full on movie style.

Hysterical screaming laughter escaped from my mouth. It felt like I was flying! That was crazy, my whole life had turned into some weird movie-worthy phenomenon. What next? Animals could talk? Pigs could fly?

He finally put me down and let me go to get dressed. My clothes were still in the other room, as I was too lazy to bother moving them.

I called out to Lucas, knowing he could hear me. “What sort of clothes do I need for today?”

His reply was instant. “None, preferably!”

“Lucas!”

“Okay okay! Shorts and a t-shirt would be fine, and you look great in anything so it’s up to you!”

I grinned and shook my head. Greaser.

Pulling on the first shorts and t-shirt I touched, I moved on to tame my hair, settling it in a messy plait down my back, knowing that most of it would escape by the end of the day anyway.

Looking in the mirror, I noticed that I had changed a lot since arriving here. My skin was clearer, and my hair shinier. When I smiled, I smiled bigger, and laughed a lot more than I used to. But my eyes had changed the most. No longer were they a dull, lifeless pair of circles. They now glistened, as if they contained a secret. I knew that somehow, the subtle changes were down to being around Lucas. It was really as if he was the final piece of me that had been waiting for seventeen years.

“Come on Char!! We’re burning day light here!” Lucas called, knocking on the door. I opened it and with a swift movement, I was in his arms and being carried down the stairs bridal style.

“Brace yourself, because this is going to be the best date of your life.”