Chapter Thirty Five

I know you don't want to hear from me...

So enjoy!

Chapter Thirty Five

LUCAS’ POV

Loving someone with so much passion, so much fervour and trust, was something I never thought I would do in my life. I left that to everyone around me, my parents, the elders, even some of my friends. I resigned myself to a life of solitude, serving my pack to my highest potential. Part of me was fine with that. But the other part wouldn’t let me accept it. That part held out for something, someone, more. It was as if without that someone, I was incomplete.

Then along came Charlotte.

Beautiful Charlotte.

Seeing her in that diner, wavy brown hair framing her face as she stared intently into a book, was like finding the part of me that was missing. I didn’t care she was human, I didn’t care she had no idea who I was, all I knew was that I would love her, cherish her, and most of all protect her. She was my mate, and I would protect her.

But life isn’t that simple, is it?

No, I shouldn’t blame others for my screw ups.

I should have gone with her.

I should have told her to wait in the car.

I should have done something, anything to prevent her from walking across that street.

But I didn’t. I didn’t do the one fucking thing that a mate is supposed to do.

I didn’t protect her.

I felt her panic before I heard her scream. I guess I felt the impact of the car too, because as her scream was cut short I doubled over in agony. But she had screamed, and she was in trouble, and I had to do something.

Ignoring the burning, searing feeling in my stomach, I tore out of my car and ran to the road.

A mayhem of people swirled from every crevasse of the street, screaming and panicking. It was as if everything was foggy and slow, like I was trying to run through a sea of jelly.

I don’t know if the people moved for me because of the crazed look on my face or the fact that I shoved them aside, but that didn’t matter. I jumped over a little girl, who’s right side of her face was scraped raw, and then I saw her.

Her lifeless body, so helpless and limp. Eyes closed. Face bloody. She was stuck.

My body had a mind of its own as I frantically lifted the car off her, much to the shock of the crowd of onlookers. Blame it on adrenaline or something. I don’t care.

Guilt and horror ripped through me as I took in the rest of her body. Blood was gushing out of huge gashes in her leg and stomach, which honestly looked like it had been crushed.

Seeing her there, and knowing there was nothing I could do, was the most painful thing I have ever done.

I was supposed to protect her!

Why couldn’t I just do one simple thing?!

But there was no time to feel sorry for myself, like the selfish jerk I am.

I had to fix Charlotte.

Blaring sirens got louder and louder and before I knew it I was being asked to move. Like hell I would leave her.

Eventually the paramedics got me to help lift her broken body onto a stretcher. I prayed that she was too unconscious to feel any pain, but if the pain I was feeling was an indicator, I knew this was not the case.

She was in pain.

And there was nothing I could do to stop it.