Candy Kisses (A SHINee Fanfic) Chapter 46 [Part 2]

There was a giant battle going on in the waiting room. Key had an empty cup of what used to hold ice water but now it was all over TaeMin and running down his shirt. Ever since he’d shoved Onew into the delivery room it was like World War III.

            “TaeMin! You better get your skinny ass back in that delivery room! I told you from the beginning! This is your responsibility! Your fault! You can’t run away from it now! Get in there!” Key screeched, pulling TaeMin down the hallway by the ear.

            “I don’t know how to be a father!” TaeMin freaked. A Styrofoam cut hit him in the face. It seemed to do the trick. He was shoved into the delivery room in the same manner Onew had been just in time to hear the doctor say, “We can’t wait any longer, you’re going to have to push.”

            He wanted to run out. He wanted to leave and never return again but his fear for Key (probably waiting outside with a row of ice water filled cups to toss at him) made him stay in the room. He stayed by the door, observing Onew and how he held JaeHwa’s hand while she braced herself for the birth of their child.

            “I can’t do anything until TaeMin’s here,” she cried.

            That switched the paternal light bulb on for TaeMin. He rushed to JaeHwa’s side, grabbing her hand. JaeHwa nearly popped the baby out in her surprise at seeing him.

            “Where have you been?!” she demanded.

            “I-I’m sorry, I had to go to the bathroom...”

            “Well next time hold it!”       

            “I guess I should go now...” Onew said.

            “NO!” both maknaes yelled in unison.

            Onew froze in surprise, trying not to keel over from how hard JaeHwa was squeezing his hand.

            “W-wae?”

            “Because!” they once again yelled at the same time.

            Because the two had no intention of letting him leave the room he had to stay with them. He felt kind of awkward just standing there at first, but when the doctor announced that JaeHwa absolutely had to start pushing now he was the one calming down the parent-to-be’s.

            “Oh, my God... How are we supposed to raise a baby?” TaeMin asked seconds before JaeHwa was due for her next contraction.

            “No offense TaeMin, but you’re not helping right now,” JaeHwa hissed.

            “Both of you calm down; you’re going to be great parents, now get ready to push,” Onew ordered. The doctor gave him a thankful nod before beginning the long, torturous process of giving birth.

            Nearly two hours in, JaeHwa felt like giving up. It was so freaking painful!

            “I can’t do it,” she cried.

            “Come on Jae, we’re almost done... Just think about how cute TaeYeonnie will be...” TaeMin encouraged.

            “Ne! Think about her little eyes and nose! And those little fingers! Think of the little fingers!” Onew added.

            “She’s going to have such tiny fingers,” JaeHwa panted.

            Ten more torturous minutes after that, cries filled the room as TaeYeon took her first gulps of oxygen in her new world. JaeHwa nearly passed out from exhaustion. Fifteen or so hours of labour later and finally she would be able to meet TaeYeon...

            The doctor and nurses worked at getting TaeYeon presentable, wiping her off with towels and extracting fluids clogging her nose and mouth. Onew and TaeMin beamed down at the near passed out JaeHwa with pride.

            “You did it,” Onew congratulated.

            “She’s here,” TaeMin said at the same time.

            JaeHwa could only smile at them. She was so tired...

            “She’s so... Weird looking,” TaeMin said. “She’s all red and purple.”

            “Yah! TaeYeonnie can never be weird!” JaeHwa said.

            A nurse wrapped their new baby in a fluffy, pink blanket and brought her over to the three anxiously awaiting idols. She placed her in JaeHwa’s arms, making sure she was snug before stepping back to let the family meet for the first time.

            “Hey TaeYeonnie...” JaeHwa whispered to her daughter.

            TaeMin reached down and stroked her chubby baby cheek.

            “I take back what I said about her being weird looking,” he said.

            A comfortable silence blanketed the four people like the first snow fall blankets the too warm ground. Onew’s lips were stretched into a tiny smile. Somehow JaeHwa still managed to look gorgeous all sweaty and frail looking. The baby she held was too gorgeous for words (but of course she had to be with JaeHwa being the mom and all). It was all too great. Except Onew wasn’t the father, and that was probably the thing that hurt him the most as he snuck out of the delivery room to share the news with everyone.