Chapter 25

“AHH!” I screamed running away from Ricardo. The wind had been crazy the last couple of day’s and running didn’t make it any better. I was glad I was wearing light washed short shorts and a baby pink crop top with my checkered vans. Sure my shirt kept going up but I didn’t care too much, rather I didn’t have time. Ricardo and I have been out since the sun came up. We ate breakfast at a newly opened restaurant, did a little shopping, went to watch a few movies at the local movie theater, had some fun at an arcade, and we even went to the store and started playing with the kiddy toys. We also got kicked out for the same reason, scaring a little more than a couple shoppers had nothing to do with it. When he saw me in a bad mood yesterday night and this morning he skipped work and took me out making me forget about everything.

            The reason Ricardo was currently chasing me was because I dumped his fries on him, accidently on purpose of course. I thought I saw a group of familiar faces which made my step falter. It was enough for Ricardo to catch up with me, then again he was a wolf he would have caught up either way.

            “NO!” I screeched and ran into a fit of giggles. He lifted me up over his shoulder and twirled me around. “AH!” I closed my eyes and continued to laugh will trying to tell him to put me down.

            “Not until you say sorry.” He said barely containing his joy. I screeched again.

            “Alright I’m sorry!” I giggled as he stopped twirling. He set me on my feet and I spotted something I really wanted. “As a forgive me present you should buy me a blue balloon.” I pointed to the man with a huge amount of balloons.

            “Shouldn’t you be buying me the balloon?” He asked leaning down so he was towering over me. I shrank back a little cowering into myself. A melancholy look crossed my face but I never stopped smiling.

            “You’re the guy. You’re supposed to treat me to whatever I ask for, especially if you chase me down two blocks of crowded streets.”

            “For something you did.” He lifted an eyebrow. I pouted and looked back the balloon man.

            “AH! He’s making balloon animals!” I said forgetting about the conversation and grabbing onto Ricardo’s arm with both hands. “Ah!!!” I screeched and jumped up and down when I saw what he was making. “I want one too! I want a little purple bear holding onto a blue heart!!!” I looked back up to Ricardo with a puppy dog face. He looked positively amused. His eyes glowed like I never seen before, almost unnatural and his smile was one of pure happiness. The puppy dog face fell of and was replaced by one of shock of such beauty.

            “I’ll be right back.” He said walking away towards the balloon man. For a few seconds I starred after him. To say I was completely comfortable and childish with him would be an understatement. We’d only been living together for a week and a half but already it felt like we’d known each other our entire lives. I felt like we had always been best friends, almost family.

            Smiling I turned around and came face to face with very familiar faces. Everyone who lived in the house, including Mario, Helene’s boyfriend, and Jonathan were stare just staring blankly at me. Jonathan moved behind a nearby tree and someone came up behind me making me jump. I turned only to find Ricardo.

            “It’s so cute!” I smiled and nearly popped the balloons because I wanted to hug it.

            “I even told the man to tie a string at the bottom of the heart so you could tie it around your wrist if you want.” I pushed the string into his hand along with my wrist. He chuckled and tied the string around my wrist. I grinned at it.

            He turned and started walking in a direction I didn’t pay attention to until suddenly I heard him talking to someone. I looked up to find Mario and Helene’s boyfriend. They greeted each other and made some small talk while I stood their awkwardly. I think Ricardo sensed my feelings because after a quick glance down to me he said we had somewhere to be. I sighed as Ricardo grabbed my hand pulling me away.

            “So have you found your mate?” Helene’s boyfriend asks suddenly.

            Ricardo stiffened and turned around. “Uhh…” He scratched the back of his neck and I found myself anxious and also scared to hear the answer.

            I gave an uncomfortable clearly forced laugh, but I didn’t care. “Since when are you European? Or is it Australian?”

            He looked at me like I was stupid. “It’s a video game.”

            “Actually I” Ricardo started in a shaky voice.

            I felt my heart quicken and I couldn’t take it. “Mate sha-mate. I don’t want to hear about video games right now. Okay? So bye.” I said in a rush before I pulled Ricardo away with all the force I could.

            “Are you okay?” he asked. We were still in air shot of everyone.

            “Perfectly…..” I didn’t like the way my chest was feeling. I stopped and rubbed my chest.

            “You forgot it.” Mario said coming up behind me. He looked apologetic.

            “Thanks.” I mumbled.

            “What’s that for?” Ricardo asked eyeing the inhaler.

            “She’s” Mario started before I cut him off.

            “I have asthma.” I didn’t know why but I didn’t want to tell him the real reason. Mario gave me this real weird look but I ignored it to the best of my abilities before continuing on my way.

            But as I walked away with Ricardo in tow I could help but wonder why I was dreading hearing who his mate was. Honestly I never thought about it. I never even considered him having one. It was stupid sure but it just felt so…unnatural, for him to have a mate. I couldn’t picture him with anyone. Every time I thought of him I always pictured me next to him. I couldn’t deny the shudder my heart gave. It was the same way with Jonathan. Even though I rejected him I can’t help but love him and I could never picture him with another girl. When I thought about Jonathan I only ever thought about us.

            I turned to look at Ricardo’s face and saw the faraway look in his eyes and the too happy smile on his lips. He looked like he was glowing and like he was bursting with energy. I looked down at our intertwined hands and slowly, forcefully, let my hand let go. I watched as his hand drifted to his side. This is how to should be, I reminded myself. I turned to look back and I could still clearly see Jonathan staring back at me.

            “Why?” I didn’t mean to say it out loud but I did. Not only did I see Jonathan step forward and turn his head to the side but Ricardo also looked down at me, “What’s wrong?” I hadn’t noticed but we had stopped walking.

            I looked up at him with blank sadness. We stared into each other’s eyes for a few seconds before his eyebrows knotted down and his hand came up to caress my cheek. Before he could make contact though the balloon loosened from my wrist making me look over. We both silently watched as the bear hugging the heart flew up into the sky.

Neither of us made a move to get it.

Wasn't that last part a total movie sceen? I could just picture it. Probably cliche but i love it and it has a meaning, of course. :] Anyways tell me what you guys think! A happy me equals more chapters faster. Fan Comment Vote.