Chapter 28

I was suppressing my urge to scream. I think I went out of my mind about 20 yards back. I had to pee, I was hungry and thirsty, my phone kept going off, and all I kept seeing was green and brown blurs out my window. I don’t know if Ricardo could tell if he could he wasn’t showing it.

He seemed…off. He was quiet and his forehead kept creasing as if he was deep in thought. He was also tense and occasionally gripped the wheel tightly. I think he was pale too. He seemed nervous and impatient. I kept getting the feeling he forgot I was in the car. I bounced my leg and looked out my window for the thousandths time in the last ten minutes. If it wasn’t for the music playing rather loudly I would have found the air awkward.

With nothing else to do I took out my phone and saw it had ten missed calls from Mario and ten messages from Corbin. When I left the house after my ‘talk’ with Mario I changed Jonathan’s name on my phone to Corbin just in case Ricardo saw the caller id while Jonathan called me.

Ricardo abruptly turned off to a dirt road where instead of slowing down on the bumpy road he actually sped up. I looked over at him scared the car would break apart and he had a small smile on his lips.

“Glad you’re enjoying this.” I muttered under my breath deleting all of ‘Corbin’s’ messages without reading them. I couldn’t help but smile as Ricardo laughed out loud.

After a few minutes we pulled into what looked like a clearing but turned out to be a huge compound. The place was clearly only for the werewolves. They had really nice big expensive looking houses some were modest and some were little cabins. So many people were outside busy but stopped to wave at the car. I shrank a little in my seat. I never did like the getting attention.

I could see a bunch of turns leading off to different streets and dead ends but there was only one straight street which we stayed on. As it turns out the street leads right to the Alpha’s house. Ricardo stopped right out in front and turned off the car. I could feel my heart suddenly pound furiously in my chest as I watched Jonathan’s sister followed by four boys and a man and woman. I surmised that the four boys were Jonathan’s other siblings. I had only ever met the oldest boy and his sister. I also surmised that the man and woman were Jonathan’s parents. I’d never met them but I heard his mother’s voice countless times.

I slowly got out the car trying to slow my heart rate because I knew they could hear it and it made me embarrassed. I watched Yara, Jonathan’s sister, called out to me and came barreling down the stairs to envelop me in a killer hug.

“Oh my god! I still remember the last time we saw each other!” She squealed. I loved this chica. She had her nappy hair up and messy, as always. She wore stained basketball shorts that clearly weren’t meant to be hers and a baggy white tee with a bra that was clearly too big on her. She wasn’t like all the other girls that had to look perfect which is why I loved her.

I laughed and nodded recalling the memory as well. “Aaliyah’s house the same day you guys decided to move away.”

“Her grandma made brownies and my brother was scarfing them down like nobodies business.” Her eyes were shining in laughter. I gave a little chuckle because I couldn’t laugh along at the memory. I remember that day for a different reason. “That was also the day you were balling your eyes out because you found out Jonathan cheated on you with her.” Okay, I think my heart stopped. Her smile faded as she remembered that.

“My cousin cheated on you.” Ricardo asked clearly upset about the information.

“He didn’t know?” Yara asked looking at her older cousin.

I clicked my tongue, made a sour face and shook my head. “You know, it’s not something you brag about, especially to sed person’s cousin… Bedside’s I’m not really sure what’s going on here so…. I think I we should just move on to the next topic like…. It’s about time I meet Armando.” I smiled up at him.