Chapter 30

To say I wanted to snap the girl’s neck would be an understatement. I wanted to gut her like a fish, grate her on a cheese grater and then snap her neck. Alright that was a little mean but seriously, shouldn't youngsters obey their elders instead of threatening them?

            “I want to gut you like a fish.” Ester said through clenched teeth.

            “Ester!” Literally everyone at the table screamed.

            I looked up at her in complete shock. “Look your scaring her.” Ricardo’s mom said misinterpreting my facial expression, or rather she didn’t know what was going on in my head.

            “Oh my god! That’s the same exact thing I was thinking right now! Except I also wanted to grate you on a cheese grater and snap your neck.” I laughed loud and then realized what I said and froze. My head snapped to a shocked Katherine, Ricardo’s mother. “You know, when it comes down to it your daughter’s going to win. I mean, she’s a wolf, you don’t have to worry. I would never—okay I would but—I’m just going to shut up now.” I nervously scratched the back of my neck and took a fork full of food.

            Surprisingly enough everyone laughed. “Good, I was beginning to think you didn’t have a spine.” John, short for Jonathan, aka Jonathan’s daddy bka Alpha, said with a goofy grin on his face.

            “Wait, so you’re happy I threatened your niece?” I asked confused.

            “Like you said she would win.”

            I gasped. “You would let me die?”

            “Of course not, Ricardo would defend you.”

            “You’d let brothers and sisters fight. What’s more, you’d let a male hit a women, wait she’s only a small brat and a man” I looked over at Ricardo as he stuffed a huge forkful of spaghetti in his mouth and suddenly realized just how old he was. “Wow your old.”

            Everyone chuckled and he looked over at me and spoke with is mouth full, “I’m not old.” I swatted the back of his head the same time as two different biscuits hit his head. Oddly enough both biscuits came from Katherine and Jonathan’s mom.

            “Don’t talk with your mouthful.” Everyone laughed and made comments about me keeping him in line and what not but it was all forgetten by the wicked witch of the south.

            “Don’t hit my brother you dirty whore.” Ester said standing up with her fist clenched. I found it kind of funny that she would call me dirty. She had her hair all out of place. Her clothes stunk like they haven’t been washed in weeks, for which her mother argued with her about, and you could tell she didn’t have deodorant. Then I remembered the whore part, keeping me from laughing.

            “Chill down chick. It’s not like I could hurt him and it was playfully.” I replied seriously pissed off by her attitude.

            “It doesn’t matter! My brothers going to be Alpha one day! He shouldn’t be disrespected like that.” She screamed at me. Everyone was ready for a pounce but the moment she said that they sort of, lost the will.

            They lost the will and I remembered my mission. The reason I was currently Bond, Jamie Bond. I had to find out who tried to kill the two most important people in my life. Time to act completely innocent and confused. “What are you talking about? How is werewolf hierarchy organized?”

            John sighed and put his elbows on the table obviously fighting grief. “Originally Jonathan, was supposed to become Alpha but… With his disappearance we need to bring in someone else to take over the position. Typically if something like this happened the next heir would be whoever was closest to turning 18 but there are some…” He looked up at me almost like he was trying to convey his message telepathically. “There are pivotal circumstances which force Ricardo, who would normally be too old to be Alpha, to become Alpha. He’ll stay Alpha until one of his children's born with Alpha gene turns 18.”

            “P ivotal circumstances?” I repeated feeling my heart beating fast with every passing millisecond.

            “I want to tell her this, Uncle.” Ricardo said in a weirdly professional voice. John nodded his head so I turned to Ricardo. “The reason it was love at first sight for you and my cousin is because like you and I, he was your mate. Normally you would only have one mate and you never share a mate but every hundred years or so our wolves feel change in the air that calls for new leadership. This is like a survival instinct.” I could hear his gulp which only made me so much more anxious. “My parent’s and Jonathan’s parent’s felt the change as the direct decedents of the Alpha family. So they both had kids around the same time, unplanned, and Jonathan and I were born. We share the same mate. If Jonathan had never moved and you two were still together he would have already become Alpha, but he isn’t here. Now that you’re here, and so am I, by technical default I become Alpha.”

            “What do I have to do with becoming Alpha?”

            He hesitated before responding. “You’re the change we need. Whoever you pick to spend your life with becomes your one and only mate and you become the Alpha couple.”

            I couldn’t find the breath to respond. So what Mario said was true. I decide who becomes the Alpha. But by what Ricardo is saying it seems like our future’s already set. Since they think Jonathan is dead they think I have no choice but to choose Ricardo. What do I do?

            “What happens if Jonathan isn’t dead?” I asked looking back towards Jonathan's father.

            “If my son isn’t dead you get to choose who you want to be with.” John responded.

            “And if he is?”

            John hesitated for a long time. “It’s already set. Since no one knows whether he is alive or not you marry Ricardo, I wish we could wait to find out but the timing has to be right and we already passed the window. Waiting any longer wouldn’t be good.”

            “So technically, Ricardo and I are already engaged?”

            “Don’t look so upset.” Katherine said looking worried.

            “It’s not like you don’t love him.” Someone, I’m not sure who, said.

            Not good, Mario! What am I supposed to do? I wasn’t trained for this! I have to tell them. That’s the only choice I have. Then I have to find out who tried to kill the both of them fast. Or I could just accept the marriage proposal and keep postponing the wedding… I think the first choice is a safer bet.

            I looked over at Ricardo with a calm cool face. I just hope he doesn’t get mad at me for leaching information out of him…

            “He isn’t dead.” I said looking at the wall.

            “I believe so too.” Jonathan’s mother put her hand on mine but I snatched mine away.

            “No, I mean I’ve seen him. I know where he lives and who his friends are. I know that he’s okay. And…” I looked over at Ricardo. “The only reason I started calling everyone close to Jonathan two months ago was because I wanted to find out what happened. The main reason for hanging out with Ricardo was to see if I could disqualify him in the running for Jonathan’s almost killer.”