Summer of Secrets~Chapter twenty four [End]

(A.N.-This is officially the ending of Summer of Secrets. I had so much fun writing it, and I truly thank you all for reading it. I love each and every single one of you<3)

~One week later~

It was a beautiful day. There was only a few days left of summer, which sucked, but I was excited to go back to school. It would be a great excuse to get away from home—and a great distraction from the week earlier. I really needed a break from everything, and school was the furthest I could possibly get.

I was all cried-out. From when I woke up—with a monstrous headache—I was crying. I had recently stopped, considering I was way too dehydrated to cry anymore.

I told my mom everything, and she went straight to the police. There was no evidence or suspects. At all.

Glad they’re doing a good job., I thought sarcastically to myself.

For that whole week my mom kept begging me to do something—to hang out with friends. First, I wasn’t in the mood to see, or talk to anyone. Second, I only had Nick left, and I didn’t want to cling onto him.

No one likes the ‘clingy friend’.

All I wanted at the time was for Chance to come back. When this happened with Mayson, I was in denial for so long, too long. I didn’t let that happen with Chance. I didn’t go slightly mental and wait for him to call me. I did try and talk to him though—so maybe I did go a little mental. I would pray silently to him every night, just to give myself closure.

Every time I prayed I knew he was there with me. I could feel his presence sitting next to me, maybe even talking back.

I missed him.

A lot.

“Alexis,” My mom popped her head into my room.

”Yeah?”

“Nick is here.” She smiled.

“Did you invite him?”

My mom ignored my question—which was an obvious yes—and she brought Nick in. he gave me a light smile and sat at the edge of my bed. He stared at his lap, trying to find the right words to use.

“Alexis,” He looked up at me.

“Don’t, Nick. It’s fine.” I cut him off, giving him a soft smile.

He nodded. “Your mom told me.”

“Sorry…about her.”

“No. Don’t be sorry. You’re going through a lot; I understand why your mom invited me, but I can leave if you would like time alone.”

I considered his offer to leave, but then I realized how much I wanted him there with me. How much I needed him there for me.

“No, you can stay…if you want.” I quickly added at the end.

“I’ll stay.” He looked down at his lap again awkwardly.

We sat in a mildly awkward silence—both of us at a loss for words. It must have been especially awkward for Nick. In a time like that, what do you say to a friend? There’s nothing that will truly make them feel better.

“Do you want to…talk about it?” Nick looked up at me after an hour.

I shrugged.

“You need to talk about it, regardless if you want to. You have to; you can’t keep things bottled up inside of you. Say anything. Share your thoughts. I’m your friend, and I’m here to listen.”

I smiled at him softly. “Thank you, Nick. I really appreciate it.”

“Talk.”

“Well, I guess…I’m scared. I don’t want this to happen again. Not just to me, but to anyone. And considering they never caught this elusive murderer—serial killer—whatever, considering they never caught him…this could defiantly happen again…and again…and again. It’s a never ending cycle of murder, Nick!” I let out a laugh—from nerves I was guessing, because I didn’t find the situation funny at all.

Nick noticed my discomfort, and he carefully wrapped his arms around me. I let myself melt into his warm embrace.

“I miss Chance.” I snuggled against him more.

“I know what you mean” He started. “I used to be friends with him…he was a good kid.”

I looked over to my left, and just before blacking out I saw the ankh tattoo on Nick Moretti’s wrist.

(A.N.-Thanks once again for reading<3 And thank you, Alexis, for giving me the characters for this very...lovely story[;  Again, I love you all to death.<3 (:

Also, I'm not sure if the ending is clear or not, so if you don't understand it, don't be afraid to ask[:   )