Summer of Secrets~Chapter nine

(A.N.- sorry for the late upload! I've been busy. This chapter is a little boring, but It's important.)

The dreaded words my mother told me earlier finally sunk in. Someone had killed Dunkin. Who would do that to me? Who would do that to a poor defenseless dog? Well I guess he could’ve bitten anyone who tried to kill him. But when someone poisons you, you don’t expect it. Dunkin is a smart dog; he wouldn’t have let just anyone near him. Or take food from just anyone for that matter.

I mentally sighed. Poor Dunkin.

            My eyes began to water again. Sure he was just a dog, but he was my dog. I loved him so much. Now he was gone, just like Mayson. They were both gone. I could never see them one last time, or hug them one last time. Never again.

Now you’re comparing Mayson to a dog…, I thought silently to myself. I shook my head and angrily threw myself onto my bed. I pressed my face into my pillow just as my phone vibrated. The screen lit up with Nick’s name.

I mentally sighed. I was hoping it was going to be Chance’s.

“Hey.” I answered plainly.

“Um, are you okay?” He asked awkwardly.

“No.” I sighed. “Someone killed Dunkin.” I tried my best not to cry, but that didn’t work out so well. Soon tears were pouring down my cheeks.

I heard a slight gasp from the other end of the phone call. “Hold on, I’ll be right over.” Before I knew it, Nick was in my room.

            He always came over when something happened to me. He was a great listener; unlike Emily.

“What happened?”

“Someone killed him.” I shrugged and wiped a tear from my cheek.

“How?”

“I don’t know. Someone poisoned him. I guess they like, put something in his food or something. I just…I can’t believe someone would do that to him!” I said all in one breath.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry. Someone will find that sick bastard, and the cops will lock them up.” He reassured.

“Do you think someone is-never mind.” I stopped myself.

“No, tell me.”

“Do you think someone is out to get me?” I asked slowly. I probably sounded like a crazy idiot to him.

“Why would you think that?”

Yeah, he thinks I’m insane.

“Well, someone obviously wanted me to suffer when they killed Mayson in front of me,” I started, already starting to cry. “And now they killed my dog! I hate life!”

“Alexis. Don’t say things like that.”

“Like what?” I said through my gritted teeth.

That came out ruder than I meant. I thought to myself.

“That you hate life.”

I crossed my arms. “I’m not going to kill myself if that’s what you think.”

“Sorry.” He bit his lip. “I was just saying. I don’t want you to do something stupid like that to yourself. You’re my best friend. Other than Emily, but who can stand her for that long.” He joked and let out a nervous laugh.

I laughed too.

            I guessed he could tell by my expression that I was feeling a little better, because he calmed slightly. I rested my head on his shoulder and stared at my wall.

“Do you think I should repaint?” I asked; completely changing the subject.

I could tell he was taken back a bit, because he hesitated before responding. “What color are you thinking?”

“I don’t know. Maybe a nice yellow.”

“Yeah, yellow would look nice.”

“Then maybe I can like, paint something on that wall.” I sat up, and pointed to the plain wall behind us. “Like, maybe I can get my cousin Vickie to paint the city or something there.”

“That’d be sick.”

“Yeah!” I said excitedly.

~~~

            The next night my dad painted my walls yellow. I took my blankets and pillows out of my room. I set up a nice comfy bed on the couch for myself and laid down. Dad said the paint wouldn’t dry for a while, so I had to sleep on the couch for a few nights. I didn’t mind it that much; the couch was pretty comfortable.

            I sat up from the couch to find Dunkin sitting on the floor in front of me. I smiled happily to see him there. His tail began to wag at the sight of me.

“Dunkin!” I squealed happily.

            Suddenly his tail stopped and stuck straight up. His ears lowered and his back arched. He let out a sullen and low growl. I turned around slightly to find the man with the Egyptian tattoo behind me.

            I went to call my parents, when his hand suddenly covered my mouth. Fear took over my body as I remembered the feeling of his touch.

            He took out a knife and held it to my throat. Hell no. There is no way this cocksucker was going to kill me. Not today.