Summer of Secrets~Chapter seventeen

(A.N.- Hey everyone! I'm so sorry for the late upload, so I made this chapter longer to make up for it.(:  )

My stomach turned, and I began to feel food from earlier rise up to my throat. I bent over and threw up. I heard Chance kneel next to me, his knees cracked as he lowered to my level. His warm breath was calm and steady in my ear.

I leaned my entire body weight onto him. He held me tightly. He kept repeating something to me, over and over. But I was too shocked to listen. I heard the muffled sounds of him calling someone for help. Before I knew it, everything turned black.

~~~                                  

I sat up in my bed, and soon dizziness took over my body. I felt someone’s warm hands lightly push me back down. I blinked several times before the person in front of me came into view. He rested a hand on my knee, and gave me a week smile.

“Chance?” My voice cracked.

“Hey,” He said lightly.

Suddenly the memories of seeing Emily’s body hanging from the tree came flooding back to me. Her body carefully dangled from the tall tree that sat in front of me. Her long blonde hair was bloody and tangled. Her body was terribly bruised and heavily cut. But the thing that stuck out the most to me was there was an ankh carved in her hand.

“Alexis, I tried. I’m so sorry,”

“Chance,” My voice crackled again. I cleared my throat. “Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault.”

He nodded slightly, and bit his lip. He took a moment before speaking again. “I have to go now, but I’ll come over tomorrow and see how you’re doing. Alright?”

I nodded.

I couldn’t help but think about the other night. I must have replayed it in my mind a thousand times. I thought of every detail.

That was sweet of Chance. He shouldn’t be upset. I know he tried to turn me away, I was just too stubborn to listen., I thought to myself.

I was calming down, before I began to think about how calm Chance was about the whole thing. When he saw the body he didn’t seem too surprised. He didn’t seem affected by the body at all. Not even the slightest bit phased.

I nervously played with my shaking fingers.

Why was Chance so calm about this?

(Nick’s point of view)

I was lying down on my bed bored as hell. My phone began to ring, and Alexis’s name appeared on my small phone screen.

“Hey Alexis,” I said with a smile in my voice.

“Hey Nick,” She said slowly.

“Yo, what’s up?” I asked with concern in my voice.

“Um, I just need to talk things out,” She began. “Do you think you could come over? Maybe...” She trailed off at the end.

“Yes, of course I can, I’ll be over in a few.”

I quickly got changed into a long sleeved shirt and jean pants and walked out to my kitchen.

My mom was standing at the kitchen counter reading the news paper. She had a beer in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. Her hair was thrown up in a messy bun, and she had makeup smeared around her tired face.

“Hey Ma?” I leaned on the counter. I stared up at her.

She gave me no response; she just kept flipping through the newspaper—pretending to read it.