Summer of Secrets~Chapter twenty

(A.N.-Soooorrrrrrrrry! Well, I wrote this chapter instead of doing a project that i didn't even start that's due tomorrow, sooooo yeah. This is very short, but remember...I have to do the project. ahaha. Well, here is chapter twenty...enjoy!<3)

I smiled softly as my father sat up from his hospital bed. He smiled weakly, and I walked over to him.

Sitting in the chair aside his bed, he grabbed my hand and held onto it tightly. I suddenly became worried, but I tried to brush it off.

My father wouldn’t speak; he just kept smiling weakly and kept his strong grip on my hand.

“I’m glad you’re better, Daddy.” I said sweetly, but hesitated slightly.

Instead of answering me, he let out a jagged breath and laid back onto his bed again. I stared at him puzzled. Soon the grip he had on my hand loosened.

“I love you, Alexis.” He whispered so softly I could barely hear him.

Mom abruptly pulled me out of the room and told me to stay outside. She closed the door, and I stood there trying to listen.

The hospital door was so thick I could barely hear a word they were saying. I heard a few whimpers coming from my mom. I pressed my ear to the door as hard as I could.

“I will, I will.” Mom said frantically. I could imagine her nodding her head as she cried.

There were little mumbles—probably from my dad.

“No, please…please don’t.”

More mumbles.

“You can do it. Keep fighting…please.”

I dropped to the floor, unsure if I heard right. I bit my lip tenderly as I strained to hear more, but after that it went silent.

Soon, the sound of my mother’s tears flooded my ears. I quickly shot up to my feet and waited for my mom to come back out, but she didn’t.

I bit my lip harder. I felt my skin break open as the copper flavored liquid slowly spilled out of the cut I had opened.

~~~

“I’m…so, so sorry.” Chance spoke softly as I fell into him.

He gently stroked my hair—barely touching me. I could tell he didn’t know what to do—I wouldn’t know either—but all I needed was for him to be there with me.

I held him tightly with both arms, and just sobbed into his warm chest. I looked up at him after about an hour, with tear filled eyes.

“I can’t take it anymore.” I told him honestly.

“Wait, what do you mean by that…” He trailed off—hoping I wasn’t serious.

“I can’t. I just…I can’t do this anymore!” I pulled away from him and stood up. “Emily, my father, and Mayson died!”

I immediately regretted including Mayson in my sentence, and by the look on Chance’s face he wished I hadn’t said it either.

“It’s not that I’m not over him,” I sat back down. “I just miss him. He was one of my best friends, and I didn’t want him dead.”

He nodded. “I understand.” He smiled softly.

“I just, I feel like I’m a jinx. What if you die too?” I asked with a shaky voice.

Chance brushed some loose strands of hair out of my face gently, and whispered in an all too familiar voice, “Don’t worry you’re pretty little head.”

(A.N.- Thanks for reading<3 Annnd it's almost finished ); only a few more chapters<33)