Summer of Secrets~Chapter eighteen

(A.N.- Hello! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I didn't really feel like writing. This chapter drags, but at least there's one here? :D

And for anyone who's reading "Uneasy" I promise I will update soon<3)

“What’s that?” Chance visibly stiffened when I asked him again.

“Oh, this?” He laughed nervously. “It’s a tattoo.”

“I know that, Chance. I mean...like what is your tattoo of?”

“Oh, it’s an ankh.”

My breath caught in my throat. I stared at his tattoo. It was on the same wrist as it was on the murderer. It was the same size; everything about it looked the same.

It’s just a coincidence. It’s possible to have similar tattoos…but this looks exactly the same. And I don’t think it’s too common to get that on your wrist. Same wrist. Same awkward symbol. Same size. Same color.

“When did you get it?” I asked slowly.

“About a year or more ago,”

The murder was a year ago. You’re overreacting…it’s probably nothing.

I nodded. “What does it mean?”

“Life,”

Life, the opposite of death. Maybe that’s why he has it. He stole other’s lives…and maybe he has it as a reminder.

I need to calm down. Trust is the number one thing in a relationship. Just trust him.

“Oh, how…cool. That’s really cool.” I smiled.

He nodded slightly and stood up. “I have to go, sorry.” He kissed my cheek lightly. “I’ll talk to you later,”

“Okay, bye.” I smiled.

I picked up my phone, and out of force of habit, I dialed Emily’s phone number. I shakily sighed and dropped my phone.

I knew she was never going to come back, but or some reason part of me expected her to. She was too young to die. Emily had her whole life planned out already. There were so many things she wanted to do, but never had the chance. If I hadn’t yelled at her the night she died, maybe she would’ve still been alive. Maybe none of this would have happened.

I sat in bed, and I stared at my ceiling. I thought about Emily for a while. She was my very best friend.

Was.

She’s gone now.

She won’t ever come back.

But she’s safe now.

Her and Mayson.

They’ll wait for me.

Even if it takes forever…

They’re up there waiting for me to visit.

Can I visit?

Just for a day.

No.

This is ridiculous.

I sighed and walked out of my room. I was drowning in my own thoughts, and I needed to get out. I sat at the kitchen table. I couldn’t call Chance, because he had to go. I didn’t want to be the annoying and clingy girlfriend. I tired to call Nick, but he didn’t answer his phone.

“Hey honey.” Mom walked into the kitchen and sat down across from me. “How are you doing?” She asked with concern showing in her voice.

“I’m fine, Mom.” I said with a little more attitude than intended.