mélancolie

Alexander's sister's party was at this Japanese restaurant called Matsuri. It wasn't too far from the Eiffel Tower. Although, I didn't think macarons and sashimi were a great mix.

I was still holding Alexander's hand, but I was beginning to feel like I was cheating on Silas. I know I'm being ridiculous, and he's the one who suggested we 'start over', but I didn't think it would be as big a deal as it has turned out to be.

For me, anyway.

I thought I was okay with it. It seemed like a good idea.

But then Alexander came along, and how could I have said no to an Aussie with crinkling hazel eyes and an affinity for calling you 'love'?

I sighed quietly, my thoughts switching to something else. I bet Silas is in his suite right now, packing up his suitcase. His whole family is probably thinking, 'What a waste of a plane ticket.' The one reason they came to Paris didn't even come to fruition. Oh, god. My mom must be terrified of leaving the suite right now. You're a terrible daughter.

"Love, meet my sister, Ari. Ari, this is Beatrix.", Alexander introduced us. I took her in. Ari was gorgeous, but one of those girls who tried to hide it with mounds of eyeliner and baggy clothing. Like the Iron Maiden t-shirt and green khakis she was wearing.

She folded her arms, amused. "I send you to pick up the macarons, you bring me back a girlfriend."

"I'm not his girlfriend. We just met today.", I tried to explain. She nodded, but it was one of those slow, sarcastic nods. The ones that confirm the person thought you were full of shit, if you thought otherwise before.

"Beatrix, huh? Is that your real name or is that what you chose to go by?", Ari asked me.

I crinkled my face in confusion. "Is there any other reason why a name exists, if not to act as what I go by?"

Ari nodded slowly and briefly closed her eyes. "Deep."

"Uh, so how old are you turning?", I asked.

She shrugged. "At this point, I could be any fucking age I wanted. But I chose to be 25.", she joked, taking a sip of her wine. Alexander grabbed my hand, and fed Ari some bullshit excuse for leaving. "We're just gonna head over there.", he said. Then he dragged me away.

"She's...interesting.", I tried. He laughed, and turned to face me. "Ari is an extreme free spirit.", he said.

"Free spirits commit to being something? That's new.", I noted. He laughed again. "How old are you?', I continued.

"I'm 19. Birthday's in November.", he said.

"Oh. I'm 18. Birthday's in June.", I mimicked. We both smiled.

"There you are. Ah, introduce me.", a younger, but identical-looking guy said to Alexander. He gave him a tight smile in return.

"This is Beatrix. Beatrix, this is my younger brother, Abraham.", Alexander said.

"Abe.", he corrected, and gave Alex a look.

"His real name is Calvin, but he likes his middle name better.", Alex explained. "Hey.", I waved slightly at Abe. I looked down at my watch. It was 8 now. I really should get back to the hotel.

"Are you thirsty? Can I get you a drink?", Abe asked. I don't see why he liked his middle name better. It sounded kind of dated.

"Ha, Abe, don't you have friends to buy drinks for?", Alex quipped. "Well, I think it's safe to say that Beatrix and I are acquaintances."