18

"Beatrix, can we talk?"

My mom entered the room, her hands folded nervously. We were leaving today. I'll admit that I enjoyed the trip, despite the 'engagement' tidbit.

I nodded in reply, and she sat on the bed.

"I'm sorry we haven't talked since the dinner.", she began, looking up at me.

I shrugged, feigning understanding. "You've been busy with Adam and his parents...I get it."

She sighed and placed a hand on mine. I didn't pull away from the movement, but instead waited for her to speak.

"I know you're angry. And you have every right to be. I mean...we haven't been on the best of terms for a long time, and we don't talk, and now here I am, engaged to a guy you don't even know and joining a new family when this one is a mess...I understand why you're mad. Bea...I'm sorry haven't been there for you. I haven't been the mother I could be."

I swallowed down the sudden lump in my throat, as she squeezed my hand.

"I cannot...I refuse, to marry Adam, if it's a problem for you.", she finished.

I took a minute to digest her words and then shook my head. "It's been awhile since I heard 'I'm sorry' from you. I'm sorry too. And I want you to marry Adam. He's...nice.", I admitted. A tear rolled down her cheek. Even she knew it was hard for me to express my real feelings. I don't know; it just felt weird to me.

I pulled her into a hug, sighing as she stroked the back of my head.

"One more thing, Bea?", she requested, pulling back. "What color would you suggest?", she pointed to her hair.

I grinned.

+ + + +

I nudged Hazel. She nudged me back twice as hard, and shot me a confused look.

"Hazel, wait! I'm trying to perfect my nudge for when I, nonchalantly, ask Silas what he's getting me for my 18th birthday.", I explained.

"Oh, well then that was good. Maybe a little
more on the shoulders.", she advised.

I nodded, taking her critique, and nudged her again.

"Are you guys having a go?", that beautiful accent suddenly asked. He leaned against the doorframe and wore an amused expression on his face.

Hazel raised an eyebrow. "I thought 'having a go' meant fucking."

Silas blushed. "Well, yes, that too. But I just think of that as shagging."

"Oh. Well, Bea, now you know.", Hazel patted me on the shoulder and left the room.

I quickly smiled at Silas, and silently cursed Hazel. "She was...joking...um, so are you ready to go?", I said, standing up.

He nodded. "I was wondering...would your mum mind if you drove home with me?", Silas stuffed his hands in his pockets. I already knew my answer. I don't think she'd want to disappoint me, now that we've made up.

"Why?", I asked, curiously.

"Because I want to spend as much time with you as I can, before I go back to England for a visit. For a week.", He looked at me, and rubbed the back of his neck.

I nodded slowly, a sad feeling creeping up my chest. I don't know, I'm sad. "Your family is leaving today?"

He nodded.